Anything new from Shearwater for DEMA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to see the Shearwater Desktop be able to create and save profiles that a diver could use so that all the information (gas, exposure suit, equipment, decompression etc.) would not have to be entered manually for each dive.

Which reminds me of another enhancement that could be done. Full configuration of the dive computer via connected PC/Mac/Phone.

Other dive computers have this feature, it's a nice convenience. That one wouldn't even require a hardware change, just a software patch.

I have a predator and my wife has a petrel. They are good computers. They are still pretty big, and we've had trouble with the batteries on both, so they can still make them better. I'd assume they will keep getting thinner as future models are released. A digital compass as mentioned above would be nice, but is certainly not a requirement for a dive computer.

Trouble with the batteries? How so?

Only thing I've seen is that they go from yellow to dead in about 3 days, but that is a SAFT type battery trait.

I've tried an AA on the Petrel once, and it lasted a good 20 hours. Which makes it a fine hold-over for when your saft goes dead.

I have a backup light that uses 3 AA's, so I just use the 4th one in the Petrel, recharge all 4 when they need it, nbd. Regular AA's work fine as well, no need for the safts

Trouble with the batteries? How so?

Only thing I've seen is that they go from yellow to dead in about 3 days, but that is a SAFT type battery trait.

I've tried an AA on the Petrel once, and it lasted a good 20 hours. Which makes it a fine hold-over for when your saft goes dead.

My predator had an issue that Shearwater fixed. I was getting erratic voltage readings and low battery warnings and the computer failed on a dive. I contacted shearwater and they sent a bigger battery end cap which puts more pressure on the battery. That solved the problem. A few weeks ago during a dive my wife showed me that her petrel was showing a low battery warning. The battery in it was a saft used on one previous dive. The low battery light appeared a few times throughout the dive, but not in the last 30 minutes. She is replacing the battery and trying it on another dive, it's possible it is the battery, but after my predator experience we both wonder how the next dive will go.

My predator had an issue that Shearwater fixed. I was getting erratic voltage readings and low battery warnings and the computer failed on a dive. I contacted shearwater and they sent a bigger battery end cap which puts more pressure on the battery. That solved the problem. A few weeks ago during a dive my wife showed me that her petrel was showing a low battery warning. The battery in it was a saft used on one previous dive. The low battery light appeared a few times throughout the dive, but not in the last 30 minutes. She is replacing the battery and trying it on another dive, it's possible it is the battery, but after my predator experience we both wonder how the next dive will go.

On the one hand, the Petrel's battery gauge isn't great with the SAFT batteries; the manual says it's just that it doesn't give much warning between full and dead, but in my experience it prematurely indicates dead, too. On the other hand, there are lots of bad SAFTs out there, either recharged Chinese junk that's crept into the supply chain or just bad conduction inside the cell. While the SAFT theoretically gives much longer battery life in the Petrel, and I have oodles of them around for my CCR's Predator controller, I prefer to just cycle through copper top AAs in the Petrel. Whenever it gets near halfway down I just throw the battery into a pile for the mouse or game controller or flashlight and pop in a fresh one.

On the one hand, the Petrel's battery gauge isn't great with the SAFT batteries; the manual says it's just that it doesn't give much warning between full and dead, but in my experience it prematurely indicates dead, too. On the other hand, there are lots of bad SAFTs out there, either recharged Chinese junk that's crept into the supply chain or just bad conduction inside the cell. While the SAFT theoretically gives much longer battery life in the Petrel, and I have oodles of them around for my CCR's Predator controller, I prefer to just cycle through copper top AAs in the Petrel. Whenever it gets near halfway down I just throw the battery into a pile for the mouse or game controller or flashlight and pop in a fresh one.

Thank you, I will let her know. She ran a AA in it for a while without any trouble.

Regarding batteries, Petrel's FAQ states the following:
While almost any kind of AA sized battery works with your Shearwater Petrel, the standard 1.5V alkaline battery (the type found in stores around the world) works best. They continue to list the benefits:

Alkaline

We recommend the AA 1.5V alkaline battery (e.g. the Duracell Coppertop) because it is:
A) Inexpensive
B) Available anywhere
C) Reliable
D) Gives about 35 hours of diving
As an added bonus your Petrel provides a useful “Fuel Gauge” display for these batteries.

At the end of the battery FAQ they have this table:
Type
Nominal Voltage
Approx. Med. Battery Life
Rechargeable
Availability
Cost (USD)
Cost (500 hrs)
Alkaline
1.5 V
34 hrs
No
Excellent
$0.75
$11.50
Saft LS14500
3.6 V
90 hrs
No
Poor
$7.50
$42
Li-Ion
3.7 V
34 hrs
Yes
Poor
$12.00
$35*
NiMH
1.2 V
30 hrs
Yes
Good
$5.00
$20*
Photo Lithium
1.5 V
55 hrs
No
Good
$3.00
$27
*For rechargeable batteries, cost for 500 hours of diving is cost of 2 batteries plus charger.

Bottom line: The state of the battery's charge is shown most reliably with the Coppertop, and it is the cheapest to use over 500 hours.

Full details here: Petrel FAQ | More Info on The Petrel Trimix Dive Computers

Back
Top Bottom