anyone who hates diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll remove the mask in the pool and in the open water. It's actually more pleasant to do it in the open water if you're doing a fresh water dive--no CHLORINE! It's nice to remove your mask and have your eyes not burn! By the time you get to the open water you should have done it so many times in the pool that it's second nature. Take it off, put it on, exhale through your nose while looking up and the water is forced out--easy!

The way you talk to yourself plays a big part too. You can talk yourself into being scared silly or you can convince yourself that you can do this.
Ber :bunny:

Our pool is not like the others...we constantly have a ppm Cl2 level of approximately 2.5...the norm is about 1.5 for indoors....outdoors you try to keep it at 2.0

Thanks for the finer points of pool management :) The only thing I know about pools is chlorine burns your eyes. Don't tell the students you guys keep it cranked up higher than normal! No wonder the equipment fades so fast :wink:

it ain't me or Bri....it's the pool guy....his name is Ray...or as we refer to him BDR....Big Dumb Ray

:stupid: Sigh---maybe i shouldn't have asked that question. I don't know why but somehow i thought I could get by without opening my eyes underwater. I never open my eyes under water. Even when I played the games of diving to the bottom of a pool to retrieve things, I would just spot it then go under and feel for it. If the excercise is just to get the water out of your mask--- can you get by with doing it with your eyes closed by any chance? And blowing the water out of my mask? I might be able to handle that but it sounds as if I will have to go under water without holding my nose too! yipe! I hate to be a wimp but I guess i am. Maybe i should stick to other forms of entertainment:boozer:

dub

just wanted to clarify that the stupid sign was aimed at my own stupidity even tho is it pointing to terry-- hehe

Yes, you have to be able to function without holding your nose underwater.
You can get the hang of this in a bathtub using a snorkel. Just lay face down and get used to breathing through your mouth. Then let go of your nose. Exhale a little air through your nose and a bubble will form below your nostrils to help keep water out. Keep your face down and keep breathing, any time you feel like water is trying to go up your nose exhale a little air through it.

Next you can work on opening your eyes while you breathe off of the snorkel without holding your nose :)

Ok ok ber-- maybe i will give it a try but I still say there should be a way to do this without opening my eyes!

I'm going to florida in early to mid may and my bro and dad both have a pool and i think dad even has some ancient dive gear i can play with. That should be some good father daughter bonding time! :D

Also I noticed scc has a prerequisite for scuba--- a swim class or instructor's approval? Does wsu have the same prereq and if so, what does instructor's approval usually consist of? Do you have to do so many laps or.... do they throw you in and just make sure you don't sink? or does it involve.......gasp! going under without holding your nose------:eek:

WSU does a swim test the first day of class, I bet that's what SCC means by instructor approval. My guess is it doesn't matter whether you've taken an SCC swim class or not, you still have to do a swim test. None of the swim test for basic scuba are hard unless you don't know how to swim :)

WSU requires 12 minutes continuous swimming, any stroke or combination of strokes. You just can't stop or drag yourself along the lane lines or walk on the bottom. Swim one length of the pool underwater. Float for 15 minutes and tread water for 5 minutes (both in the deep end).
That's probably one of the more difficult pre-entry tests you'll find. You can probably call SODA and ask what they require for a swim test at SCC.

Thanks Ber-- I just assumed it would be a few laps around the pool. I never thought about floating or treading. I will call soda to be sure there isn't anything additional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom