Anyone who has been on a Galapagos livaboard with the Pinguino explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClairevL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In 2016 or 2017 I would love to go on a Galapagos liveaboard. It seems amazing and I can't wait to go there. However, as many others I guess, I'm looking for a somewhat affordable option, the Galapagos Aggressor is simply too expensive for me.

Has anyone been on the Pinguino explorer? I would love to hear the experiences. I found a very old post on this topic and not too much response (1 negative only). I really hope this has changed now. Or does anyone know any other more affordable Galapagos liveaboard? I don't care about a very fancy boat...I just want a safe boat and do many dives at great sites.

I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added October 19th, 2015 at 02:18 AM ----------

in addition to that: does anyone know of trips that offer more than the 17-19 dives? So more than 3 dives a day or trip longer than 7 days?

Last edited:
The Pinguino explorer has been re-fitted and is now called Astrea. I am booked for September 2016. Like you I could not find any review. I also wanted a less expensive option. Astrea also do Naturalist cruises so we are doing a 7 day Naturalist (above water with snorkelling options) followed by 7 days diving.

I had a response here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/south-america/516099-galapagos-september-2016-a.html

The response was from Dive The Galapagos who have a number of boats and options listed on their site.

Hi Tbar, thanks so much for your reply! I only just saw it - somehow I didn't get notified.
Good to see this. To me it still sounds like a good option. I really don't mind a more basic boat. For me it's about good dive sites and sufficient safety measures. I would personally not be willing to spend an enormous amount extra just for luxury.
I'm not sure when we can go yet since we already have some other trips planned and even with this boat it's still substantially more expensive than the other LOBs we'll do. I hope you'll write a trip report after having been on the boat:) Great that you'll also do a naturalist cruise, sounds like a must do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom