Anyone want to check out Millbrook Quarry 8/18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. J W

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just picked up some new dive gear and need a buddy to do a check-out dive with. I am not adverse to burning more air though, so perhaps there is something worth seeing once I get my weight dialed in.

I'm not up near Millbrook Quarry anymore, but it's where I did my open water certification dives so many years ago :D I'm kind of surprised it's still 'open' to the public. Good luck finding a dive buddy!

Good luck finding a buddy. Millbrook is fine for a gear test dive, but set your expectations low, as far as visibility and aquatic life go. Both times I hit Millbrook I didn’t see a single fish and the visibility didn’t exceed ~10’.

Where is Millbrook? 10' that is clearer than anywhere I dive, do people swim there?

Millbrook is up near Haymarket and Manassas, in Northern Virginia. As far as I know...it’s open for diving only.

It would be a shorter drive for you to hit Lake Phoenix, which is a good bit south of Richmond. Lake Phoenix would be a shorter drive, the visibility is better, the facilities are MUCH better, it’s warmer, and swimming is permitted (check their website for swimming hours and rules).

Millbrook is fine for locals wanting to get a gear test dive in (I’ve done that twice and would go back again). It is not worth a 2+ hour drive to check it out (unless it’s literally your only option within 2+ hours).

It would be a shorter drive for you to hit Lake Phoenix, which is a good bit south of Richmond. Lake Phoenix would be a shorter drive, the visibility is better, the facilities are MUCH better, it’s warmer, and swimming is permitted (check their website for swimming hours and rules).

Not to mention they're roughly the same cost if you rent tanks and want to do two or more dives. It's about $46 for a day of diving at Phoenix with a tank and unlimited fills, Millbrook is a $25 entrance plus $10/tank.

Oh, and there's way more to see.

Millbrook does have the advantage that it bottoms out around 90' while 60' is about as deep as you can go at Phoenix, if that's what you're after.

Millbrook definitely serves a purpose, it’s perfect for what it’s there for - OW checkout dives for the local shop. I have mixed feelings about it, I plan on exploring it more once I get a drysuit. It is cold past 35-40 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom