Anyone using the Uwatec SmartCom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one - done about 50 dives on it including deep/deco and multi-day repetitive dives.

I love it - definitely recommend it.

The quick disconnect is great - specially in airports - even if it is "an additional point of failure".

Activating the back light takes a bit of getting used to - but once you find the sweet spot (and with a bit of practice) it is no problem.

Grant

Dive buddies wife has one. Great computer, and works great in gauge mode for serious diving. If they made it in a wrist mount hoseless AI, I'd have one in a minute.

As with any Uwatec, non-user replaceable batteries, if that is important to you.

Phil

I've got it, and I love the computer.

It looks cool...I know that doesn't improve how it works at all...but hey.

I like the quick disconnect. My setup would not fit in my reg bag w/ that computer on it. Plus, I don't want the computer face bouncing against my first stage on the ride out to a dive site.

It's VERY easy to read - I like big easy numbers.

It provides a lot of info. I like the AI - I like having all my info right in front of me.

I love how much dive info it stores - all your profiles, on-off gassing...it's very nice.

I like the interface - easy to switch to log, dive planner, O2 settings, microbubble prevention settings (although I've only gone in once to turn it off..haven't touched it since).

I love the computer. It is really, really nice. The only downside was the price...

I have just received my new SmartCOM a few days ago. Haven´t used it yet but already impressed. Bought it because was very happy with the old Aladin Sport for 100 or so dives.

The computer is unbelievably powerful but, surprisingly simple to use. All the functions are clearly displayed and easy to access and remember. Even with a pathetic memory like mine I am confident getting around the functions without the destructions.

But ... does anybody have any information on downloading to a Palm (I am thinking of getting one as well). Other than I have heard it doesn´t work with the old Paladin software, is there anything in the pipeline?

I don't know about downloading to the Palm Pilot - I would be very interested in that as well. One of my friends usually drags a laptop along on diving days so we just transfer via IR over to that thing...it's very nice. But, it would be nice use the palm pilot for it. It would actually give me a use for that thing....

Mine crashed after 1 dive... sent back to uwatec, and as soon it came back sold, now I use again my old, bulletproof aldin pro

Hi-
Okay, thanks for all the replies so far. I recieved my Smart Com a couple of days ago. Looks good, haven't had a chance to use it yet.
I have another question. What kind of IR device are you using? In the manual it says that there is a list of compatible devices on Uwatec's web page but I couldn't find it. Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Dan

aidensnd once bubbled...
Hi-
Okay, thanks for all the replies so far. I recieved my Smart Com a couple of days ago. Looks good, haven't had a chance to use it yet.
I have another question. What kind of IR device are you using? In the manual it says that there is a list of compatible devices on Uwatec's web page but I couldn't find it. Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Dan

Straight from the website,im lucky as my laptop has an IRD.

Smart Connection - infrared device list

Smart dive computers can communicate with variety of PCs having either a standard IrDA port (most laptops) or an external IrDA compatible Infrared Device.

For the flawless operation Uwatec recommends 'SMART IR DEVICE' the Uwatec Serial Infrared Adapter to be used with SmartTrak and Smart dive computers.

Following other infrared devices have been tested to be good with SmartTrak and Smart dive computers, but the functionality may vary depending on different PC / operating system combinations and therefore Uwatec can not guarantee the correct operation.

Serial Infrared devices:

• Uwatec: Smart IR device, MA-600
• ACTiSYS Corp.: IR-220L+
• Extended Systems: ESI-9680 JetEye
• Tekram Technology: IRMate-210

USB devices:

• Greenwich Instruments Ltd.: GIrBIL USB
• Tekram Technology: IRMate-410U

Back
Top Bottom