Anyone used SSA(scuba school of america) DRYSUITS??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeinla

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone used SSA(scuba school of america) DRYSUITS?? They are located in Monrovia, California. New to dry suits. Any feedback?? They are a 30 minute drive from me.

thanks

I have some friends who dive those drysuits. Personally, I think they're kind dorky (with the urban camo or Hawaiian prints or whatever else you want on them) and really expensive.

I also am NOT a fan of SSA....their whole goal seems to be to get you to buy a ton of expensive crap (they want you considering a rebreather as soon as your OW class is over), scare you into thinking that you're going to die if you use gas pumped by any other shop/boat, and convince you that one dive out of your OW class is a good time to go night/lobster diving and the second dive should be on the oil rigs....

There are lots of other shops in LA that can hook you up with quality drysuits (DUI, Whites, Diving Concepts) and have more reputable owners....

I priced the SSA compared to the DUI....

DUI TLS 350 with front entry $2050
Rock boots $100
pocket $180
undergarment $300

total $2630

SSA with front entry
Includes boots, pocket, undergarment

total $1699

I have never had a drysuit before so I am leaning toward the SSA(all black) as it is $1000 cheaper

Anyone used SSA(scuba school of america) DRYSUITS?? They are located in Monrovia, California. New to dry suits. Any feedback?? They are a 30 minute drive from me.

thanks

Are you a certified diver now, or just taking classes? If you've only recently gotten certified or haven't yet, I'd suggest renting or diving wet for a little while before you spend thousands of dollars on gear. Lots of people seem to decide diving is not for them and the gear typically has low resale value.

Are you a certified diver now, or just taking classes? If you've only recently gotten certified or haven't yet, I'd suggest renting or diving wet for a little while before you spend thousands of dollars on gear. Lots of people seem to decide diving is not for them and the gear typically has low resale value.

I did my advanced open water about 8 years ago in Los Angeles at Catalina Island(cold water). Right after that I went to Bali and dove with just shorts. Ever since then I have been going to WARM water destinations(just came back from Curacao). Since I live a 30 minute drive from the ocean I am thinking about starting cold water diving again without the bulky 7mm wetsuit.

I did my advanced open water about 8 years ago in Los Angeles at Catalina Island(cold water). Right after that I went to Bali and dove with just shorts. Ever since then I have been going to WARM water destinations(just came back from Curacao). Since I live a 30 minute drive from the ocean I am thinking about starting cold water diving again without the bulky 7mm wetsuit.

Awesome. I'm sure you'll love it. This is my first season diving dry in the cold Great Lakes. I did a few days of diving in your waters too and would love to do it again in a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom