anyone used http://scopolamine.net as a replacement for Scopace(TM) pills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sole manufacturer of Scopace pills (Hope pharma.) discontinued them in 2011, but the web-site Scopolamine will compound the active ingredient into a tablet form. (Many of us like the controlled dosage of pills much better than wearing a patch.)

Anybody have any experience going the compounding route? I still have a bottle of Scopace pills but the expiration date is June 2012, and I'm not sure if it's wise to use them or not. (I doubt they go bad, but I could be wrong. Most likely, they might not do much. Which I doubt given that it's hard to believe they've been on a steady decay curve since the day I got them... But I'm not an MD...)

I've gone that route and it has worked just fine. The compound pills are more expensive than the old Scopace, but still cheaper than the patch.

Unless you always get side effects like dry mouth, I think it would be hard to know if your old pills still work until you are out on the boat. By then it is too late if they don't work.

I would take a pill on dry-land to test it. I get a bit of dry-mouth, and paradoxically, I get just a bit dizzy (if I'm not moving around!)

I use a custom compounded scoop nasal spray. It is prescription. If interested visit your family doc and request a script.
You may have to explain what it is, my doc had never heard of it.
The great thing about the nasal route is that it is basically instant results, you can sort of wait to take it until you need it and skip it if you don't.

Your scopace pills are no longer any good. Do not take them. Please box them up immediately and send them to me for proper disposal.

Your scopace pills are no longer any good. Do not take them. Please box them up immediately and send them to me for proper disposal.

I was boxing up the pills to send to you for proper disposal, but in a freak accident, I dropped the bottle just as I was about to put it in the shipping box. Amazingly, the top came free, and a single pill fell out and then, if you can believe it, bounced off the box and ultimately landed in my gaping open mouth!! In my astonishment, I accidentally swallowed the pill, and realized several hours later that I (a) had not died and (b) was experiencing dry-mouth and slight on-land dizziness.

Thank you for your kind offer, but it would appear there is no need to dispose of the pills quite yet.

I use a custom compounded scoop nasal spray. It is prescription. If interested visit your family doc and request a script.
You may have to explain what it is, my doc had never heard of it.
The great thing about the nasal route is that it is basically instant results, you can sort of wait to take it until you need it and skip it if you don't.

Tell me more.........
Will this method remove nausea if you waited to long?
Any side effects?

Sorry for late reply. Actually just getting back from you neck of the woods. Great diving out there!

I have waited to take it late in the game a few times, but normally if things are getting snotty I go ahead and use it early.
It has helped late in the game on occasion and a few times it did not, results seemed mixed, guess it depends on the severity, and how long you wait.
Sort of like I have been sick while using the patch once.
I don't use it often but it is nice to have. I have let friends use it after getting green and seemed to work for them.
It is scoop so expect the same side effects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom