Anyone use Yamaha Jet drive outboards??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although Yamaha 2-strokes are the most common engine here in San Pedro I think they're rubbish. I've had several and all have two design faults - (1) the lug on each piston that stops the piston rings from revolving and jamming in the side ports is a pin that's pressed into a hole rather than being an integral part of the piston (as is common on better brands). I haven't had one of these engines that hasn't finally succombed to the pin coming loose, the ring jamming, and the engine self-destructing; (2) the castings, though beautifully finished, are actually made of low grade materials. I was astonished when I saw cross sections of a propeller and an engine block at the extent of embedded cracks that were there from the manufacturing process.

I don't know what the best outboards are, but after much research I'll buy Evinrude Etech when the time comes.

It's changing though. The two stroke Yamahas are gas hogs and with the price of gas here it's becoming more cost effective for every day users to get a more expensive 4 stroke (of whatever brand or an E-Tec but mine is corroding already around the lower unit)
I've had three of the 2 stroke Yamahas (a 60, 25 and a 150 hp) and never had the problem you're describing but I've only put the hours on one that you probably put on yours. The 60 hps are known to be reliable workhorses.

Tell me your experience with the E-Tec. I'm still gathering evidence!

I don't like 4-strokes because of their power characteristics, amongst other things. Interestingly, I see several operators here who changed to 4-strokes a couple of years ago, mostly Yamaha or Suzuki, appear to be changing back to 2-strokes.

I've had my 90 Saltwater E-Tec for about a year and a half. Mechanically, it's sound but I have only 100 hours or so on it. No complaints except for the slight corrosion on the bottom end and the paint chipping away.
I paid almost the same for my 90 ETEC (2006) as I did for my Yamaha 150 2 stroke (in 2005). That may be one reason people are switching back. But in Placencia and Dangriga, it's hard to find a trained mechanic for the newer, high tech motors too. The carbed 2 stokes.....even a moron like me can fix them and as you're well aware...down here reliability is a key factor.... even with the reliable Coast Guard we have....(not) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom