Anyone use core warmers by themselves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coasterp

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Jamaica in Jan. When I ws there in March, I was right on the edge of getting cold without a wetsuit. I currently have a 2mm shorty that does not fit that great (picked up on clearance, cheap) and am looking at either getting a better fitting
3mm shorty or a core warmer. I'm leaning towards the core warmer, as I like the freedom of no suit when I can get it. I do wear a rash gaurd to keep from getting burned also. Anyone use just core warmers and if so can you compare to a shorty. Leisurepro has a 7mm core warmer on clearance that I am considering.

A 7mm core warmer seems to be overkill for Jamaica. I use a full 3mm for protection in warm water, but several years ago did a "deep air" dive there in my swimsuit. I'm from Canada and I understand cold means different things to different people. Good luck with your choice. :)

The best way to stay warm is to cover your head. Plenty of shops have a neoprene cap or hood. Next, get a suit that fits. A loose suit will lose heat. Your body needs to warm the water between the suit and your body, a loose suit will provide too much water between the suit and your body, or just lets the warm water out.

When I visited Jamaica, the water temp was 78. I used a full body 3 mm which was plenty warm for a 60 minute dive. I'm not sure the 7 mm core suit will be too warm since it does not cover the shoulders. If it is too warm, pull the suit away from your body and let in water.

Hope you have a good time - Tom

Core warmers seem to fit very tight.....as they should to keep you warm.......we bought one for our son to wear with his 7 mm fullsuit......he was diving 3 hours a day to eraticate Milfoil in our cold lakes for his summer job the past three years......

I think that a 7mm might be hard to get on/off (he needed help getting his off) and with the integrated hood actually be to warm for the Caribbean.....if that is the type you are looking at........

I did a quick LP scan...........this looks like a great deal......

Henderson 3mm Mens Titanium Hyperstretch Jumpsuit, Black/Blue,

You mentioned you prefer the freedom of no suit, but the Hyperstreches are so elastic that you really don’t feel them at all……

M

I should have been more clear. The poor fit is that the suit is a little tight in the arm pit area. Otherwise it's fine. I have been working out and this has made it worse. I also already have a 3mil full suit, which I have found is overkill for anything above the very low 70's for me. I get really warm. I did not even think about the fact a core warmer would probably be very tight, due to what its job is. I think I may just go with another 3 mil shorty that fits better. Might take some time but I'm sure I can find one.

Between global warming and El Nino, the weather is crazy. Presently, the water temp is about 83F (seasonally, should be about 80/81). Unless a dramatic plunge takes place, I think that a shorty would be adequate - if still a little chilly, you could wear a T-shirt under it to further slow down any water movement. 7mm anything would definitely be overkill. Have fun.

At that temp. I could get away with just board shorts and my rash gaurd. When I was there in March temp. was 81. That extra couple degrees may help. I really preffer no wetsuit if I can but then I'm thinking most do.

Back
Top Bottom