Anyone use an IBM microdrive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking at the specs for the Oly5050 and I saw that it can use an IBM microdrive. Considering they are 1 gb, that sounds great.

However, is there any performance issues with using them?

Darryl

Microdrives were very popular a couple of years ago when CF card sizes were no more then 256mb. at the time they were good but then about a year after they came out lots of owners started noticing problems with them and then "SDS (sudden death syndrome)" hit in droves and people were in a uproar about them online.

tNext is that they are power hogs (around 10x+ normal CF consumption and a significatnt delay in write speed between shots because the drive has to spin up and down between shots) other one is that they can take that much of a shock to them (a 1 foot drop on to soft carpet would trash them). They wont work for under water applications because the heads of the drive need a cushion of air to read on so they dont hit the platters (there effective opreating range is -10 ft - 10000 ft)

Finally is that they are more expensive then normal CF cards, as 1 GB cards now adays are running around 250 a piece. if you would like to know where PM me

Are available for $239 now on eBAY, the new "F1" card which supposedly is a "40x" card (with a published I/O performance approaching 6MBPs - that's megaBYTEs, not BITs.)

That's faster than virtually any current camera can do I/O to them..... and definitely faster than a prosumer model like the Oly5050.

Scubatooth once bubbled...
Microdrives were very popular a couple of years ago when CF card sizes were no more then 256mb. at the time they were good but then about a year after they came out lots of owners started noticing problems with them and then "SDS (sudden death syndrome)" hit in droves and people were in a uproar about them online.

!!!????

That's somewhat scary, cuz that's what I have been using exclusively in my Nikon. I have not had a problem at all in almost a year and I love the storage space it gives me and I don't have any issues with running low on batteries too quickly. Maybe I'm lucky.

Microdrives are nice, but they're winchester disk drives.

Give one a good jolt while the heads are flying and it WILL suffer a headcrash, as will any winchester drive.

BTW, "good jolt" is about 3-6gs - which you can generate with a 1-2" drop onto a hard surface!

Parked/idle they can sustain 20-30gs, which is more than you want your camera to be subjected to....

Had a Microdrive for a little over a year before it broke. The trouble is that they have moving parts, which seem to be a little prone to damage with rough ride. Personally I am going to stick to large capacity and fast CF cards from now on.

Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom