anyone use a pelican 1620?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had two Pelican 1650's for six, or better, years.

I've had the lid organizer- that lasted one dive season as the zippers on the organizers quit working after a few exposures to salt water.

The cases are heavy and add alot to the overall weight of the luggage allowance. Since domestic luggage has dropped to 50lbs, I have found it difficult to carry what dive gear I used to without going over the weight limit.

I've had several locks, including Pelican's brand, ripped off the cases by luggage handlers. The hole for the lock is tight and doesn't allow for much movement- that's a good thing, and a bad thing!

They sweat- so you have to make sure that the case doesn't have to stay closed with any moisture content for any length of time. I took them to the Andaman Islands and travelling in India/ Maldives for two months, and I was always dealing with the cases getting pretty rank inside.

The small wheels on the Pelican cases only work where the ground is smooth and hard, like tarmac or concrete. If you have to roll it over wooden docks or dirt, it useless.

I currently use one to carry a Nikon D70 camera housing, four ports, and a video housing. It works great for this use as the case does protect the equipment. Only problem is, as you can find on the scubaboard forums, they are a target for thieves.

So now, based on reading about some recent thefts from Pelican cases, I'm buying a rolling carry-on case that will fit the housings, and I will leave the Pelican cases in the basement!

I own 12 pelican cases of various sizes for numerous other uses, but the big 1650 cases have become a white elephant for me.

All my gear is insured, but it does me little good if I get my camera gear stolen on my way to a tropical location.

I love Pelican cases, but there are limitations to the 1650 case, IMO.

shep

shep:
I've had two Pelican 1650's for six, or better, years.

I've had the lid organizer- that lasted one dive season as the zippers on the organizers quit working after a few exposures to salt water.

The cases are heavy and add alot to the overall weight of the luggage allowance. Since domestic luggage has dropped to 50lbs, I have found it difficult to carry what dive gear I used to without going over the weight limit.

I've had several locks, including Pelican's brand, ripped off the cases by luggage handlers. The hole for the lock is tight and doesn't allow for much movement- that's a good thing, and a bad thing!

They sweat- so you have to make sure that the case doesn't have to stay closed with any moisture content for any length of time. I took them to the Andaman Islands and travelling in India/ Maldives for two months, and I was always dealing with the cases getting pretty rank inside.

The small wheels on the Pelican cases only work where the ground is smooth and hard, like tarmac or concrete. If you have to roll it over wooden docks or dirt, it useless.

I currently use one to carry a Nikon D70 camera housing, four ports, and a video housing. It works great for this use as the case does protect the equipment. Only problem is, as you can find on the scubaboard forums, they are a target for thieves.

So now, based on reading about some recent thefts from Pelican cases, I'm buying a rolling carry-on case that will fit the housings, and I will leave the Pelican cases in the basement!

I own 12 pelican cases of various sizes for numerous other uses, but the big 1650 cases have become a white elephant for me.

All my gear is insured, but it does me little good if I get my camera gear stolen on my way to a tropical location.

I love Pelican cases, but there are limitations to the 1650 case, IMO.

shep

never thought of it that way. i guess with a big pelican case you are advertising, "hey look i have very expensive gear inside, stay away"!!!

My 1620 rolls ok allmost everywhere, just keep pulling and it will go.
In wooden docks, it rolls ok and in dirt, just keep pulling...........

I'll take care with the zippers on the organizer, and keep them well lubed (I thought that the zippers may get rusty due to the salt water)

I'm looking to get one of those 1650 or 1660 cases, so my fins will fit nicely.

Shep: Are you selling yours? PM me if you do, maybe we can do bussiness.

I've had a 1650 for about six years, and have taken it fully loaded (with almost two sets of gear minus tanks and weights) to the Caymans, Bonair and the Keys. I've never been charged extra, but the last time I flew international was a few years ago. I understand things have changed recently. Last year, we took it on a cruise loaded with all the gear we could stuff in it for three people. We didn't have a problem, but it does weigh a ton when fully loaded.

My 1650 is great... never really had a problem with weight. I was charged the overweight fee once, but the airline refunded the money when I pointed out their miscalibrated scale. It was 15lbs with nothing on it... just got lucky that I glanced down while processing the rest of my ticketing.

Anyway, I can typically pack all of my gear (SS BP, Jetfins, regs, mask, 5mm wetsuit) and my girlfriend's fins, mask, 5mm wetsuit without a problem. Still under 70lbs.

On the boat, it usually fits under the deck benches.

I have to admit, it is a pain to get around... just big and cumbersome. But I wouldn't leave on a dive trip without it.

Back
Top Bottom