Anyone tried this software? Lets you 'swim' off California and view the seafloor! GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeswimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone tried this software? Lets you 'swim' through the ocean off California and view the bottom in 3D. Supposed to give GPS coords and depth. Miles of visibility.

Here is the website:
TOTAL IMMERSION SOFTWARE

Trying an image:

lajmainm.jpg

Hmmm... will have to take a look. I developed some digital bathymetric data back in the early 1990's for my GIS-based research into kelp distribution. Wonder what the spatial resolution of these data is?

Dr. Bill

In my other hobby (flying sailplanes) there is a nice software package where you use a GPS to record your flight, and then you can later replay the flight over a 3D map with a satellite image overlay to analyze the flight, compare with other gliders (if you were racing) or just for fun. It's really satisfying to replay a flight later.

I had thought that with the right data (bottom contour, kelp distribution, etc.) this sort of thing would be great for diving. Of course then the problem becomes recording the divers location on a minute-by-minute basis, like an underwater GPS. Unfortunately, that part is not easy. Solutions exist, but not in easy economic reach.

This software looks a little like I was envisioning...

drbill:
Hmmm... will have to take a look. I developed some digital bathymetric data back in the early 1990's for my GIS-based research into kelp distribution...
Dr. Bill

Kelp research? Very cool!

Please let me know what you think if you get the application.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom