Anyone stayed at sand dollar this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDH

Reaction score
Just wanted to know a little about sand dollar in Bonaire. My friend went to Bonaire and did not like Buddy's so we are looking at sand dollar. How far do you have to travel to thier dock for boat pickup? And are the rooms properly air-condition for a good night sleep? Any information it would really help. Thank you:D

First - What was your friends beef with Buddy's - because you just might find the same problem at Sand Dollar...

Like Buddy's, the SD dive shop and pier are right on the premisis so there is no travel to get the boats. Sand dollar's common areas are not air conned but the bedrooms are- just like Buddy's. You also have a nice tropical breeze put there by Nature.

Both Buddy's and Sand Dollar do not have the luxury of Bill Bradley's Emergency 24 hour heating and air service. All the hotels also have hot or cold water but rarely in between.

Well Tom my friends beef had nothing to do with the type of resort just how he was treated.

We dive Roatan every year so air-condition is not a must but when I sleep. I don't like waking up in a pool without my equipment. And if you happen to see Bill's air and heating ask him if he dives and would like to come along.

My wife and I never expect conditions to be the same in other country's as it is here but that is why we enjoy the slower pace of there culture.

NDH, no offence but I have to question your friends problems with Buddy. I have been there on a number of occasion and never had anything but great service and treatment from the staff at Buddy, both at the resort and the dive shop. Tom and myself have lots of contacts on the island and if there was an attitude problem with Buddy's staff I am sure we would have heard of it. In any case, the accomadations at both place are very similar.

My wife and I stayed there in April and had no issues. The air conditioning worked great and the boats/pier are easy access. There were actually a couple morning/night dives where we felt like the only guests there. Less crowded than Buddy, but that is what we like. We'll definitely be back.

Hi Herman. My friend is really a good guy and never complains. I wasn't with him on this trip and haven't gone into detail with him. I know he was there when they were doing a lot of work on the place and something happened that put him off.
I personally have never been to Bonaire and want everyone to just enjoy everything without worrying about the past. So when he asked if we could stay somewhere else, its not a problem with me I just want to dive. I have read some of your past post and appreciate your input.
I'm looking at price like everyone else but want to stay at a place with lockers and boat diving on site. The price seems less than going to Cocoview Roatan but now we have to cook or eat out. So there is where I'm worried about cost. I love diving at least 5 times a day on vacation and don't really want to get dress up for restraunts.
Diving is my love right after God, Wife, Children, Family, and Country. Thanks

All the staff are so great that I, too, can't imagine what would have happened. Whatever it was I am sure it was an isolated incident. Pack your sense of humor and use it freely and often.

I don't think that you will be disappointed with either operation. Some folks say that Bari Reef in front of Sand Dollar is primo. I think they're right. The Sand Dollar is mostly privately owned condos that are decorated by their owners. They are very nice and very comfortable.

There are several nice groceries on the island now. Breakfast should come with the room. If you stock up on sodas, bread, sandwich meat, and snacks you can either make sandwiches for lunch or grab an inexpensive snack at any of a hundred roadside "Snacks." If you pass on the lobster you can eat dinner rather inexpensively at any of a hundred restaurants. We usually get by on US $300 for the week for a couple. Of course, bar drinks drive that price up and up.

A collapsable cooler comes in very handy.

Take some gallon size zip locks to keep the sugar ants out of your cookies and a tube of some 16 or 20 ounce cups (there are no large cups to be found). Also collect some of the snap close caps off water bottles. When you get there buy some inexpensive two liter bottles of juice and pour the juice out. Fill the bottle with water and put on the snap cap. Leave it in the sun while you are diving and you have a warm water shower for your face and camera gear.

Electric stuff and chargers that are rated for 120 volt 60 cycles will not live through the week. Ensure that your stuff is multi-voltage and rated for 50 to 60 cycles. If you have several chargers, lap-top etc carry a power strip and one of the adapters to change three prongs to two.

The first few times that I went to Bonaire I stayed at the SD. When I started taking groups through my present shop we stayed at Lions Dive which has since been absorbed by Buddy's and for the past few times I have stayed at BDR. I understand that the Sand Dollar has been granted permit to rebuild the dive shop on the original slab. I hope so.

You do want to reserve a car for the week if one does not come with your room. Most of the fantastic diving can be done from the beach. Since you are in Houston I assume that you are taking the red eye and will arrive early in the morning. Call ahead to ensure that your resort will allow for day of arrival diving. Several companies, Scubapro for one, makes booties that have a hard, hiking boot style. They run about $50 and your feet will say thank you thank you!! Your first dive of the trip will be off the resort pier after watching an orientation video. This is a regulation of STINAPA.

You will have to purchase a tag to allow you to dive on the reef and you will have to pay exit tax on the day of departure. Hint, you do not have to wait until the last day and can avoid lines by buying your exit stamp a some point during the week.

Bonaire is such a wonderful place - have you got room in your suitcase for us??

Thanks Scorch and Tom

Looking forward to booking for a week in May. I love my 5am dives as much as my night dives so Bari Reef is a big plus.
Tom I'm sure it was isolated, but what can you do when a good friend ask you. We might try Buddy's on our own in Nov. if that is where our new friends from Kentucky want to go.

NDH:
Thanks Scorch and Tom

Looking forward to booking for a week in May. I love my 5am dives as much as my night dives so Bari Reef is a big plus.
Tom I'm sure it was isolated, but what can you do when a good friend ask you. We might try Buddy's on our own in Nov. if that is where our new friends from Kentucky want to go.
Have a group going there-Buddys- 4/21-28th 2007..if interested pm me..have been to both and prefer Buddys both the facilities and the staff were better than Sand Dollar..

My GF and I stayed at the Den Laman, which is at the Bari Reef dock. They use BDA, the same dive operator that the SandDollar uses. The units are A/C throughout, everything is new, great kitchen, etc. Rates are competive to the other alternatives. As far as I know, all beds are queen, so may not be the best for random dive buddies. No swimming pool, if that matters to you. Unless something changed since October, there is free unlimited Nitrox (i.e., same price as air, approximately $120 for the week) to those rated. Boat dives are pretty cheap, but we didn't do any. We really liked the no-schedule shore diving.

You will spend a bit more for the week on Bonaire than you would at CCV/Roatan, but I liked the diving a bit better. We also ate better on Bonaire than at CCV. You are lucky to be in Houston, with direct flights to lots of dive spots!

Mosey over to bonairetalk.com, for lots of chat on all things Bonaire.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom