Anyone running 2 knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly the funniest thing i have see so far, was 2 years ago a diver had a huge knife and sheath strapped to his tank... Which of course was strapped to his back! . When i asked why, he said it was soo his buddy could get to it fast and save his ass... I asked him what happens when his buddy is hung up in the same net and can't get to your knife? his reply was.. "Like that would ever happen".. Things that make you go hummmmmm

I know it seems redundant, but does anyone dive with 2 knives on them? scuba.com is running a special for a BC knife that is $8. so i thought maybe id run a knife on my bp/w setup on my chest, and then my regular 12" knife on my leg. so, thought?

I keep a large line cutter on my right shoulder (with a lanyard, without the pouch), knife on my belt and shears on my left shoulder.

Dive%20Rite%20Cold%20Water%20Z_Knife%20With%20Daisy%20Chain%20Clip.jpg

They're all for different stuff. The line cutter will take out an entire net or floating wads of line in a single pass, while the shears will cut stainless steel leader, which the line cutter won't. I've never actually had anything the first two couldn't cut, but can see situations where a knife would be more useful.

The only time I've actually needed a cutting tool underwater was when I first started diving, really needed one and wasn't carrying anything. I would have happily traded everything I own for a cheap steak knife (I was separated from my buddy and entangled in a bunch of line trapped on the bottom).

Happily, my buddy came back before my air ran out, but it was a lesson I'll never forget.

Terry

Last edited:
Honestly the funniest thing i have see so far, was 2 years ago a diver had a huge knife and sheath strapped to his tank... Which of course was strapped to his back! . When i asked why, he said it was soo his buddy could get to it fast and save his ass... I asked him what happens when his buddy is hung up in the same net and can't get to your knife? his reply was.. "Like that would ever happen".. Things that make you go hummmmmm

Some people should have to wear a sign....:wink:

I asked him what happens when his buddy is hung up in the same net and can't get to your knife? his reply was.. "Like that would ever happen".. Things that make you go hummmmmm

dumb_dumber_kobal-8893.jpg

I carry a knife and shears. For the big stuff, I often have a cutting rod or torch. :)

I also attempt the quick easy fix first, thus the knife. That's all I got, feel free to dismiss me and my knife...

Not "dismissing you" just think it's funny that your "quick easy fix" to potential entanglement hazards involves carrying another...

:eyebrow:

I agree with the addition of shears. I have tested the shears by cutting a penny in half. I used the shears on a shipwreck dive to cut the metal fishing leader that a fellow diver was tangled in. I always dive with a poly line cutter, serrated rope cutter, and metal cutting shears.

Used a knife 'in anger' this Sat. on the Stolt Dagali. Spider line, -hate the stuff. Shears more precise, outer right knife is faster.

I keep my sheath on the outer right thigh. It is a very quick grab with the hand, but it is a definite entanglement hazard and it also could catch a dropped weight belt (as mentioned above). The configuration has always worked for me except for one trip to the Calif. Kelp beds. I HAD to move it to the inner calf.

I think that wearing the knife on the thigh is much more hydroynamic than having it mounted below the knee because on the calf, you carry kicking it back and forth a lot.

With my BC I carry a knife and shears mounted on the belt, and a line cutter in the pocket. Just moving to a wing now, so will carry knife and shears...just sorting out where to put them. Underwater I've only used my shears three times but have been glad I had them: first to free up a large crayfish in a ball of fishing line; second to snip way my from entanglement in a line in our local training lake (line and fins become magnetic in poor viz I'm certain!); third time was to tidy up some fishing line on a wreck before someone (me or others in our group) got tangled.

Back
Top Bottom