Anyone own a Scubapro and Atomic reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone on hear own a Scubapro and Atomic reg. I am looking for a comparison of the two manufacturers. I am looking at the Mk25/ G250, Mk25/S550, Mk25/S600, and the Atomic Z1 and maybe even a M1.

Try going on-line to Rodales Scuba Diver magazine. They just issued an extensive review of all regulators. Check the over $400. price range. BTW, I have a SP, MK20/S600 setup. I love it.:boom:

i have the SP MK16/S550, the wife has the Atomic B1. had the chance to use both and i can tell the difference in ease of breathing - B1 was better (down to ~ 36m/120'). one thing though, the B1 2nd stage was connected to the LP orifice on the pointy end of the 1st stage.

will i henceforth bail on my SP ? no. it works for me (single tank within recreational limits)

If you were buying your first reg, would you choose the atomic over the scubapro? Any problems with either?

I've used both and I bought the Atomic B1/T2. Both are great regs but I went with the Atomic because to me, it was a better breather. Just my opinion. If I was going to buy a ScubaPro I would buy the MK25 G250 combo.

I wouldn't trade my Atomic for any other Reg I've tried. I used an Apex ATX200 and it was a great rig but still not on par with my Atomic.

Scott

if i had to do it over, i'd buy the B1 over the MK16/S550 - ease of breathing, the fifth LP port.

by the way, i started out with a Mares Akros/MR12 i got during a closeout. USD250 complete with console :)

i think it boils down to what you eventually want to do. i am still happy with being able to blow bubbles, even it if's only at the local swimming pool. but then, as i learned more (both theory, shooting the breeze with other divers and formal training), another round of equipment upgrades/adds is in my future.

now, if only the wife says 'yes honey, feel free to clean-out the kids' college fund :D

"i think it boils down to what you eventually want to do. i am still happy with being able to blow bubbles, even it if's only at the local swimming pool. but then, as i learned more (both theory, shooting the breeze with other divers and formal training), another round of equipment upgrades/adds is in my future."

That is exactly what I trying to avoid. I am slowly working my way towards instructor and I want to buy the right equipment so I don't have to buy again for a long time.

The following was a post that was a response to a ScubaPro Vs. APEKS question. I think you will get my point regarding the setup of a MK/20 and a G250HP.

If I can recommend a regulator setup, it would be a Scubapro MK20 or MK25 1st Stage (they are pretty much the same. The MK 25 can have the intermediate pressure adjusted externally without a conversion kit.) and a G250HP 2nd Stage. I have the MK/20-G250Hp setup and it has been an excellent regulator for me. I do quite a bit of deep diving (over 100FT), drift diving, and “cool water” diving and I have never had a problem as far as reliability or in an over breathing situation. I would describe this regulator setup in a few words as: WORKHORSE, RELIABLE, EASY TO SERVICE, GREAT BREATHER, ROBUST (you know it’s in your mouth, it’s not a tiny regulator. Some people prefer a regulator that has something to grab onto.)

You will see quite a few people on this board recommend Scubapro, APEKS, and Atomic. All three of these companies provide some of the best scuba regulators in the business. From my own personal experience with Scubapro, I can tell you that I have nothing but praise for their products, especially the MK/20-G250HP regulator setup.

If you can, try to rent or borrow a friend’s regulator and give them a try in an actual diving situation.

Follow the link below for more information.
http://www.scubapro.com/consumer/pr...k25_g250hp.html

if going into the instructor line i guess the SP MK20/25 w/S550 or better 2nd stage would be what you want - there's possibly more LDS's selling SP than Atomics so if you will be teaching out of one, you wouldn't have to leave the B1 by it's lonesome.

if you're going tech instructing, probably SP or Apex from what i've read here.

so ... i guess the answer is still kinda 'depends' :) and at some point you will run into some upgrade/adds dilemma.

or, like my previous instructors and DM's - they have their 'teaching gear' and their 'fun gear' :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom