Anyone know about twin 50's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000 once bubbled... All the recent discussion about small doubles really has me thinking and I guess curious. I love my double HP80s but am looking for something a little lighter that I can hike into the mountains for some lake diving. I think the 50 lbs is still too heavy for that. An AL80 is only 30 lbs so that still seems to be the lightest choice, although I do love diving doubles!

Tony
The 72s are quite a bit lighter than my AL80s in air and also require 12 pounds less weight, so if you are diving dry, steel is the way to go.

I doubt there is a steel tank and wetsuit setup that I would trust in freshwater, although I'm keeping an open mind on the subject.

With my XL sized 7mm semi-dry adequate ditchable weight is not a problem. With a stainless steel backplate I still need 12 lbs of lead to stay neutral at 15 ft with near empty tanks. A 3mm suit on the other hand would probably leave me pretty close to neutral under the same conditions with no weight.

A single steel 72 is hard to beat if you need a tank of more or less standard capacity and have to pack it in to the dive site. The tank is lighter than an AL 80 plus you save 4 or so pounds of lead that does not have to be hauled in as well.

I liked the twin 50's in terms of trim and bouyancy but felt they were a lot of weight for 90 cu ft of air and also not quite enough air if you did a dive that really needed doubles.

I also had problems getting correct fills. 2250 psi fills were common and only slightly higher than the 10% overfill for a + rated 2015 psi tank (which I actually liked). However I had shops blow the burst disc on 2 occasions while filling them to 3000 psi when the guy doing the air fills assumed they had the same service pressure as an AL 50. The first time this happened they replaced the burst disc with one designed for a 3000 psi tank, and then filled them to 3000 psi. This is 134 cu ft of air in a 50 lb package, but then 3000 psi is also only 358 psi less than the hydro test pressure. Scary. The second time it happened they figured it out.

It is not as bad now when tanks come in more than 2 or 3 flavors and people actually look on the shoulder for a service pressure. however it is still a good idea to fill the service pressure markings with some red paint so they stand out, particularly with 1800 psi tanks as they are rare and a little odd.

Steel 50's are in great demand by parents with small divers as they are light, short and hold the right amount of air for a12 yr old diver to keep up with an adult in an AL 80.

Yes, one should be careful. The tanks in the EBAY link look like twin 38's. The bottles appear to be aviator breathing oxygen dated about 1952. The thread is 3/4 NPT with bushings to allow fitment of 1/2" NPT. Some shops will not fill tanks with bushings. These tanks are quite buoyant. Popular in the 50's because they were cheap to obtain and because of the Mike Nelson flicks, they are now considered junk.

I've never seen 'Navy twin 50's'. Interesting.

The poster would be better advised to purchase a set of twin 50 aluminum. They have good buoyancy characteristics and don't require a boot. They should be dated 1984 or later.

Wait, those are tanks like on Seahunt!?!?! Now I gotta buy them!

Actually, if the threads are 3/4", wouldn't those accept a standard manifold?

... if the threads are 3/4", wouldn't those accept a standard manifold?
Newer scuba bottles use a straight thread, sealed with an o-ring.
The older ones use a tapered thread (NGT, National Gas Taper) with teflon tape wrapped around the valve threads.

NGT shouldn't be confused with NPT (National Pipe Taper). They're close, but you don't want to be deforming the threads at all by running NPT into an NGT opening.

The bushings used in these tanks were NPT. The NGT thing is a bit of erudition by SCUBA experts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom