Anyone know about the wrecks off Eden's Rubble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

My wife Jami, buddy Wallob & I are OW & Nitrox certified & hit Bonaire earlier this month with a Parrot Island Scuba Divers group led by our instructor. We stayed at Eden's Beach Resort. Their beach dive site is called Eden's Rubble.

Wallob & I dove a boat wreck in Eden's Rubble, & I'd like to know if there's any info. about those wrecks. I had no trouble pulling up info. in the Hilma Hooker (which is much larger), but do we know anything about these boats at Eden's Rubble?

Some photos of it:

Wallob diving the wreck.

EdensRubble-Richard096.jpg

The wreck.

EdensRubble-Richard047.jpg

EdensRubble-Richard048.jpg

EdensRubble-Richard094.jpg

EdensRubble-Richard074.jpg

EdensRubble-Richard052.jpg

Some of the residents.

EdensRubble-Richard077.jpg

Photos taken with Canon A620 & Canon underwater housing.

Richard.

PM Cynde, she's dove them a couple of times. Afaik, they were sunk there intentionally.

Haven't done that one yet but it won't be hard to find out informationn about it, I'm sure.

There is one down the beach, to the right looking toward the ocean, at 100' called the "New York", it is a small tug boat.

What is the depth of this wreck?

drrich2:
Hi:

My wife Jami, buddy Wallob & I are OW & Nitrox certified & hit Bonaire earlier this month with a Parrot Island Scuba Divers group led by our instructor. We stayed at Eden's Beach Resort. Their beach dive site is called Eden's Rubble.

Wallob & I dove a boat wreck in Eden's Rubble, & I'd like to know if there's any info. about those wrecks. I had no trouble pulling up info. in the Hilma Hooker (which is much larger), but do we know anything about these boats at Eden's Rubble?

Photos taken with Canon A620 & Canon underwater housing.

Richard.

Richard,

The first one is the sailboat Bakanal which sank in 1999 just after "Lenny". The mooring block in the picture is the location of the BT ReefCam which is currently being fixed.

The second on is Our Confidence, a small trawler type boat which came from St Martin. It resided at Harbor Village Marina until 2003 when she sprung a leak which couldn't be contained and was towed out of the basin just in time to go down where she is today. The currents have not been kind to her and she is crumbling badly. Will see if I can dig up some pics from her better years.

For more info you might try a keyword search on www.bonairetalk.com

BTW, where's my flag?:14:

All my pics here were from the same wreck; we only did the one at Eden's Rubble.

So, is this the Bakanal or the Confidence, do you think?

Interesting information!

Richard.

Its the Bakanal...the Confidence is about 150 - 200yrds south. There was a nice
snapper (huge) in residence there last year.(at the confidence) I also ran into a massive shoal of fish (not sure what kind) that were about 8-12inches long,that just engulfed me..it was very cool!

The currents at Eden can sometimes be kicking...never experienced that elsewhere on the island...Oh Vay-PBD is acting up

drrich2:
All my pics here were from the same wreck; we only did the one at Eden's Rubble.

So, is this the Bakanal or the Confidence, do you think?

Interesting information!

Richard.

Definitely the Bakanal. The debris on one of the last shots looked like Our Confidence so I thought maybe you had made it that far. Our Confidence is basically just south of the dive dock of Harbor Village. Drewpy is correct and I need to get my eyes checked.... :11doh:

Thanks, guys! I'm hoping to make a 'memory book' of sorts with the Blurb software of our trip, & those little details sure do flesh things out.

For others reading the thread who will hit Bonaire in the future, I'd recommend this wreck. My deepest on this dive was 90 feet, by the way.

While the Hilma Hooker had a few tarpon & a large green moray eel, was much larger and was a good dive (although the entry was a bit more 'challenging'), it was not practical to get any 'broad view of the wreck' photos of it like some of these.

At the Hilma Hooker, I had my deepest dive so far; 99 feet deep lying on my belly in the sand near the wreck.

Richard.

Ah, one more thing. When we were at Eden Beach Resort, they taught us to look at the boats in the ocean near our beach. If they were perpendicular to the shoreline, all was well & the currents shouldn't be bad.

But if they were parallel to the shoreline, the current was strong enough to have turned them around, so stay out of that dive site until things settled down.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom