Anyone here ever buy a car on ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Or know anyone who has?
Please read all the details before commenting.

I saw the same car I'm buying on ebay.
Same model, same trim level, just a different color, and a new 06 model.
I was going to get an 07.

It's be auctioned by a dealer in FL.
I would of course call that dealer directly to make sure they're really auctioning this car.
It's an 06 brand new, full warranty, only 25 miles on it.

I could potentially pay about $3500 less even after taxes and shipping...maybe even up to about $5000 less, depending on what the final bid is and if I drive it back. I'm going to be in FL the week of the 12th anyway.

The only real downside is:
Not getting to see the car before buying. Just because it's new doesn't mean no damage or manufacturing defects.
The 07 looks a little nicer, plus slightly higher reselling value depending on how long I keep it.

I've bought two, but they were older "classic" sportscars. In both cases I contacted a local mechanic and had the cars gone over (cost me $100 each time).

Why not show your current dealer the auction? They will often negotiate price to get the sale. Trust me, they have room to negotiate. Anyone with '06's on the lot, wants to get rid of them NOW! You need to figure out, how much of a loss you would be taking, by purchasing a one year old car, even though it is new.

Buying cars off ebay is not a big deal. Use a thrid party to hold the money and verify funds for the seller.

When I bought a car off ebay, I sent a deposit to the guy as a personal check, that he held until I brought him a cashiers check. He was very trusting of me, but we spoke on the phone for a long time, and my job, makes me pretty easy to track.

Never bought a car on eBay, but I did buy a motorcycle that way last summer.

I found it largely by accident. The guy had misclassified it and thus was getting no offers. My bid was the only one, thus I only paid his opening bid which was $600 below my first bid.

I was satisfied between the ample pictures and his description that I felt comfortable bidding on the bike sight unseen. It also helped that the seller was in an adjacent county, and I only gave him the minimum deposit, with the rest to be paid via cashier's check upon my satisfactory inspection of the bike.

I know this is a given, but you have checked his feedback, right? Not just the rating, but what buyers had to say, and what other items he's sold?

Reason I say "what other items he's sold," is that some will sellers will practicallyt give away a bunch of small-ticket items to 'pad' their feedback.

Very little chance of finding another 06. The only reason they have it is because there's not much of a market in South FL for 4WD.

Not much of a chance of getting them to move much on the price either. Around here the 07's are flying off the lot, most are sold before they even make it to the dealer. Def a seller's market. Did some research and I'm paying around the average that most people are paying for the 07...if I take it.

He has very little feedback, but like I said I'd call the dealer directly, from the number I got off of the manufacturer's website, to make sure it's legit.

You do know, you can buy an '07 from the internet right? There are online car dealers that will deliver it to you at a better price than a dealership can.

No, I didn't!

Pleeeeease send links.

Cars direct's price is only about $150 less than the dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom