Anyone have the Mares M2 yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I'll have to see one in person and try it on. Next time I'm in Dallas I'll hit up Scubatoys.

Thanks Zak!

Zak OHara:
sorry, the face plate on M2 is highly scratch resistant...

I'd second the quality of the screen. I assume its the same glass as the M1 and mine has 100 dives and only a couple of virtually invisible scratches on it. At this rate its going to take a few thousand dives before the screen damage becomes annoying.

Other than that though, I can't see much reason to upgrade to the M2 if you already have an M1 - it doesn't really seem to have anything useful extra. Sure the RGBM algorithm might be useful but you can also get this on an M1 and you should be able to find some good deals on the M1 RGBM once the M2 comes out. I know I picked up my standard M1 for a good price just after the launch of the RGBM model. :wink:

Realistically though, if you're doing the sort of diving which needs RGBM then you probably want to be looking for a computer with gas switching abilities and mixes to 100% O2 for a bit of future proofing. I know if I upgrade mine it will probably be to a VR3 (ouch, start saving now!).

BarryNL:
I'd second the quality of the screen. I assume its the same glass as the M1 and mine has 100 dives and only a couple of virtually invisible scratches on it. At this rate its going to take a few thousand dives before the screen damage becomes annoying.

Other than that though, I can't see much reason to upgrade to the M2 if you already have an M1 - it doesn't really seem to have anything useful extra. Sure the RGBM algorithm might be useful but you can also get this on an M1 and you should be able to find some good deals on the M1 RGBM once the M2 comes out. I know I picked up my standard M1 for a good price just after the launch of the RGBM model. :wink:

Realistically though, if you're doing the sort of diving which needs RGBM then you probably want to be looking for a computer with gas switching abilities and mixes to 100% O2 for a bit of future proofing. I know if I upgrade mine it will probably be to a VR3 (ouch, start saving now!).

Yeah my M1 has 68 dives on it and no scratches either, but the way he made it sounds was that the M2 has an even better screen. I guess if the price delta isn't too bad I'd get the M2 since it's newer and looks a little better, but if there's a great price on the M1 then I'd consider getting another; that is if I don't get the Atom or Nemo instead.

Also, I heard people say the RGBM M1 isn't as good, it's too conservative with its tables. Can anyone chime in?

The M2 will most likely have the same RGBM algorithm. People say it is conservative but usually only by a couple minutes.

I'd be interested to hear how the buttons differ from the M1. The M1 buttons certainly take a bit of getting used to, although they work fine once you are used to the feel of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom