Anyone have experience with this style of powerhead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkimFisher

Contributor
Reaction score
The design seems questionable - both in terms of function and safety. This is a "slip-on" powerhead - literally. If you look at the pic, the neck of the powerhead is a piece of rubber hose that you slip over the tip of a shaft. To load the shell you remove the piece of hose and drop the shell into the head. The piece of hose is literally just a plug....

I guess what makes me uneasy is there is nothing to stop you from pushing the powerhead over the tip too far except for the primer of the shell - that seems a bit dangerous. Also, what happens if you don't push it on far enough or the shot isn't perfectly squared up to the target? I'd hate to watch the tip just pop off...

The lack of a firing pin or some other firing mechanism incorporated into the head makes it super safe to just walk around in your pocket with, but...

So...anyone have any experience with these? How'd you think it performed?

I've used very similar ones, maybe identical. We call them power tips and others call them personal protetion devices (PPD) because technically they are not powerheads because they are a non mechanical device. They simply hold a bullet in place for eventual contact with the tip.

You need to water proof the bullets by painting with nail polish (2 coats)
You should probably discard the bullet after every dive (or a few) if you want it to work
You can keep the entire tip sealed in aplastic bag and try to prevent water intrusion, but this will slow deployment somewhat.
If you press down on the tip while you are a little paniced because a shark is coming around, you will blow a pretty big hole through your hand. If you bump into your buddy with the tip, it may well go off and kill him, even if your speargun was unloaded. Powerheads and powertips are very dangerous and when your buddy is carrying one, it defintely can affect safety of the buddy.

Also that tip needs to be matched perfectly to your tip and the tip must be sharp. The powertip needs to be very carefully slipped down over the spear tip until it is in contat with the bullet primer. If you push too hard, BOOOOM, so keep your face and hand away from the front. I have done some stupid things with powerheads at 200 feet while narced. the natural reaction is to simply slam the thing down over the speartip with your palm and this will result in a terrible injury.

If the tip (rubber hose) is too loose on the tip it will fall off when you invert the gun and if it is too tight it will be hard or dangerous to place the powertip over the speartip.

This is a tool that you should practice with and shoot into the sand 5-8 times until you are comfortable with it. When the shell goes off underwater, it is very loud and if it is close to your head, the shock wave will rattle your teeth.

Mechanical powerheads have some advantages and disadvantages as well. In many areas, a powertip makes the dive more, rather than less dangerous.

They work quite well, I have never used one in an emergency for a shark, but i have used them to explode the head of food fish in deep water. Also placing of the tip over the shaft will reduce the range and accuracy of the shot.

Most guys we dive with on the Gulf coast carry and use them. They work great. I haven't seen or heard of one going off while putting on your spear tip, you would have to slam it on pretty hard to make it discharge.

We call them PPDs, and I believe they are much safer that true powerheads. I don't allow powerheads on my boat, several guys have dropped them and been severely injured by them.

Make sure you are close to the fish or shark when using, range is limited. And a glancing blow won't fire, although some have a sharper front end and work well.

Charlie

I use this same version as well.. I've fired it, never at a fish, and haven't had a problem with it. I also found that the salt water eats through finger nail polish after just a few dives, so I coat mine with 2 coats of FN polish and then put the ppd in a small zip lock bag. It works great so far..

Back
Top Bottom