Anyone have any info/reviews for the ScubaPro Go Travel Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quaxon

New
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere other than ScubaPro's own site. Every search just brings up stuff for the GO BCD.

I am looking for fins for an upcoming trip to Maui. I was also looking at these fins as well and will probably end up going for them if nothing comes up on the GO fins.

I am a relatively new scuba diver and want the fins for both scuba (just tropical reefs, no tech diving) and snorkeling/free diving. Any other fin recommendations are also welcomed, ideally looking for spring strapped fins and not too long so it can fit in a suitcase (even better if it can fit in carry-ons, but not a requirement) thanks.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of "barefoot" fin: the only way I'd want one on reefs is when diving off a boat (and then you can just as well go full foot). For shore entries, there's no way I'm walking on sharp slippery coral without booties.

Aeris (now Oceanic) Accel is a popular short lightweight fin and both my BH and I are happy with ours. But I wouldn't freedive in them, I'd go for at least Cressi ARAs if not a full-length freediving fin. Check out Mako spearguns for the latter. I'd hesitate to take Accels to where there are strong currents, too, unless it's a strictly drift dive: there's just so much propulsion you can get out of a small blade.

Overall the most important issue is fit. You can use inserts (Merrel orthos inside the booties or these: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrssri/mares-razor-fin-insole-pair) to tune it up a bit but generally the best fin is the one that fits you well.

I just bought these fins and you can wear them barefoot, with neoprene socks and with a boot. If you get a size bigger, Boots would cause no problems.

I have used them -

They are comfortable and the 'no booty' thing didn't bother me at all.

When you take long strides/kicks, they power off fine, and are comfy when swimming.

Only thing i didn't like - there seems to be a weak point right after the toes - the fin almost bends in complete half - depending on which angle you're at, which i found annoying.

Personally, I would not purchase them.

go_fin-side-black_lr.jpg

There's a Simply Scuba video about these fins here:
Plenty of other sales outlets here in Europe appear to be selling them, e.g. Scubapro Fins and Scubapro Go Travel buy and offers on Scubastore

Like Zenvagabond, I won't be purchasing them because I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to fins and have always disliked the inexorable move away from natural materials and in the direction of synthetics, notably "thermoplastic elastomers" such as "monprene", in the name of lightness out of the water. Scubapro's description of the fin blade as having a "Central Power Panel" that "provides longitudinal rigidity and creates a channeling effect" also seems a trifle pretentious. Wouldn't a "central power panel" on any other device come with an on/off switch? :)

we're getting some (killer deal at lds), so we'll have a review soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom