Anyone going to Roatan? Looking for dive buddies or deals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(late response to above, but....) This is quite demonstrably not correct.

btw- the COVID test requirement for Roatan entry has now been lifted with vax proof.

Nice - are curfews still 10pm or so? From an embassy website it sounds like it's currently expiring June 20th, but was already previously extended. If they push it to midnight i'd be super interested in possibly heading to roatan over cozumel

Dunno, I go to dive.

Dunno, I go to dive.

Same, though I like the option to extend a bit and do other things. Also may bring a non-diving friend. I don't drink very much these days so it wouldn't be a big deal for me either.

Same, though I like the option to extend a bit and do other things. Also may bring a non-diving friend.

There are other things to do. If you go to CocoView Resort's website, you can find amidst the menus a list of topside excursion options. I figure Anthony's Key Resort will also have such. Roatan is a cruise ship port, so you know there are excursions to entertain them - Trip Advisor would have a good list. A big question is how much topside activity is desired, and what? Some people like laying in a hammock and reading, some want to go walk around rain forest and get a picture with a monkey on their shoulder (or see a sloth), some want to shop for touristy knick-knacks and socialize with locals in bars...there are a range of interests.

Taking a non-diver changes things. The 2 big questions I'd ask with that in mind are:

1.) Is being at or near a sandy beach a big deal? Does this need to be something people can wade out into?
2.) Is walking around 'civilization,' a town or small city important? If so, would an excursion one day cover it, and is spending evenings in a variety of sit down restaurants (or bars) in different businesses important?

Same, though I like the option to extend a bit and do other things. Also may bring a non-diving friend. I don't drink very much these days so it wouldn't be a big deal for me either.

I was just tossing that mildly snarky comment out to draw out the painting that @drrich2 has begun in answer to your OP.

These are kind of complicated things that you’re asking about, in terms of Roatan. Read his answers with care. Especially to the huge “beach’ conundrum.

The EASY answer is: come to Roatan to dive or to drink. There really isn’t much else yet going on there. Everybody has some kind of dream for attracting tourists, but other than DIVING or DRINKING, it’s all pretty Ren Fair hokum level. It will change.

Note that is said, drink OR dive. There are “Vacation Divers” and there are “Dive Vacations”. Some are served well here on SB, some are better aligned with Trip Advisor. I really don’t see much middle ground, and adding Roatan to the mix further polarizes the equation.

The majority of Vacation Divers are attracted to West End. HUGE fan base. Most of them get 3 to 10 dives in a week.

The minority of the other type of divers, the Dive Vacationers... they end up at AKR Anthony Key or CCV CoCo View. They dive on 17-27 dives in a week.

Then you have to figure out how that above info serves you. Now...what is the effect on your traveling companion.

I have taken several friends to CCV. They expressed little interest in becoming certified. They thought they might snorkel or just read. Each and every one wound up getting certified. This is where locale and availability comes in to play, in a huge way. CCV creates divers out of thin air.

@drrich2 is developing quite a broad knowledge base about Roatan. It is one thing to know one dive op well. There’s a lot of West End fans who only know one view, @ddrich is starting to get around- he knows of what he speaks.

There is absolutely no single best place for everybody on Roatan. This is said about most every island, but on Roatan, this is your best advice. Listen carefully, and do the literal math!

Good info all, thanks I'll review! Just have to find some sane flights there now.

I've always thought of Anthony's Key as kind of a dry docked cruise ship.

Looking to head here soon in August I think.

Anyone know any super solid instructors, ideally tech divers, who I could spend some time doing some training with to improve trim/buoyancy/safety practices? Don't really want to do the typical padi refresher.

Anyone know any super solid instructors, ideally tech divers, who I could spend some time doing some training with to improve trim/buoyancy/safety practices? Don't really want to do the typical padi refresher.

You want trim/buoyancy/safety improvement while using “tech” gear such as, i dunno, doubles or BPW or why?

If your SB dive count is correct at 25-49 dives, I would say that a “typical PADI refresher” would might not be appropriate, but some type of Peak Performance Buoyancy thing would likely do all of us well.

Do you really want something leaning toward tech? There’s one or two I suppose, but why? The answer there is how I’d further direct you.

You want trim/buoyancy/safety improvement while using “tech” gear such as, i dunno, doubles or BPW or why?

If your SB dive count is correct at 25-49 dives, I would say that a “typical PADI refresher” would might not be appropriate, but some type of Peak Performance Buoyancy thing would likely do all of us well.

Do you really want something leaning toward tech? There’s one or two I suppose, but why? The answer there is how I’d further direct you.

Fair point - I mostly just want a really competent diver/good teacher to beat some fundamentals into me better than a PADI course. Want someone to look at my frog kick technique, learn to better fin pivot (I don't think I really know how to do this right), and clean up trim. Also wouldn't mind just finding other safety improvement drills/skills.

Back
Top Bottom