Anyone from Long Island NY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I am from Long Island NY and am new to diving. Does anyone know anything about the island and some good dives to learn on.
Especially wrecks. I can't wait to go.

I lived in Easter Suffolk for many years and still have family out there. There are a few new dive operations out there now (there were none 5 years ago). One that the local firemen use is in Riverhead and I've heard good things about it.

A popular dive amongst the locals is the old Ponquogue bridge (Shinnecock Inlet, Westhampton side). Shore entry. Need to time the tide correctly (or you are headed to England).

But, it depends where you are. I met a family from LI in Mexico who did a fair amount of diving out of Freeport, but they were from Rockville Center.

I'll have to check that out, I've heard the same. I am out of Rocky Point and have a good shop 2 seconds from my house.

Hi, I'm actually a born and bred eatern long islander living now in nassau county for an easy commute to NYC for work. The old ponquogue brifge is a good dive, but make sure you do it at slack water or else you could be in big trouble. Another good shore dive is secter beach in Mattituck. The vis is usually pretty good and there are lots of nice fish to sea with miminal current. A good boat operator is the Jeane Marie out of the hampton bays marina by the shinnecock canal. They have a website as well and cater to all levels of diving. they make trips to the artificial reefs off of shinnecock. I believe that marina has a couple other dive boats but I'm not sure of the name. Hope i answered some questions.

But I dive on Long Island.

Take a look at the Long Island Divers Association website. You'll find information you can use. I don't know if you're a woman or a man, but LIDA sponsors a women only wreck dive each summer. I'm thinking about doing it this year.

http://www.lidaonline.com/main.htm

Also, Dogfish Scuba does group dives on the North Fork. PM me if you want info.

Tiedemanns Dive Center has a pretty active dive club that does shore dives and boat dives.

http://www.tdconline.com/

I live on Long Island ... there's a fresh water quarry / lake called Dutch Springs in PA (only about an hour from NYC). The viz is good (usually 30ft), and there are plenty of man made wrecks at variouse depths from 30ft - 110ft. They have boats, cars, buses, a helicopter, etc .... it's pretty fun, you should try it out.

What part of the Island are you from?

oversea:
I am from Long Island NY and am new to diving. Does anyone know anything about the island and some good dives to learn on.
Especially wrecks. I can't wait to go.

If your interested in wreck diving, I recomend booking a charter with Capt. Howard Kleins Eagles Nest (www.eaglesnestwreckdiving.com). Start off with something in shallow waters (Iberia wreck). You can also check out www.lidaonline.com If you never dove in Northeast waters, I would strongly urge you to first take a wreckdiving course. Northeast wreck diving is very different than diving in tropical waters. There are tons and tons of wreck sites surrounding Long Island. You may also want to consider purchasing Dan Bergs "Wreck Valley II" ENJOY!

Safe Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom