Anyone for Fort Ross Cove on Saturday May 19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whaleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to dive Fort Ross on Saturday May 19 in the morning and none of my local dive buddies can get away.
So I'm looking for a buddy who like me has always wanted to check this area out. I'll be staying in Bodega Bay
so I can be there either on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

I don't think that I can make it. However, why not join and post this at the North Coast Divers' website? www.northcoastdivers.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fort Ross is one of my favorite local dive sites. On NCD there is section with dive sites that should have a pretty good explanation of the dive routine there. http://www.thenorthcoastdivers.org/forum/index.php?topic=160.0 The board got all screwed up and much of the info was lost.

At this point I cannot commit to going, but "might" be able to get a day away. Hopefully you can find someone to get out there with :)

Can some one guide me there please? Any idea for good time to dive it without hungry sharks? Peter??

Alas, there's no feeding time for sharks, so you just have to dive and forget them. They appear perfectly able to feed themselves without our help.

Heck, with typical north coast vis, there's no way that you'd ever see one, anyway. ;-)

Can some one guide me there please?
In June we can plan a nice scooter dive out there. Maybe the scooter crabboy would even join us? The structure is pretty cool, and once out far enough there are tons of fish.

Any idea for good time to dive it without hungry sharks? Peter??
Not much of a pool player myself, no wonder I am starving :wink:

FWIW the Red Triangle ends around Bodega long before you get to Fort Ross. Not that the landlord hasn't been spotted right up the road at Still Water Cove in Sonoma County though (The shark followed a free diver to the surface). The only shark attack I know of on a scuba diver happened in Blue Fish Cove...isn't that one of your favorite dive areas? :D

Redtrianglesharkplace.jpg

Better not scare the new guys away. Great White sharks don't eat people, and they typically do not attack scuba divers. Marco was test bitten most likely because he had a ton of electronic equipment turned on and attached to his body. He went to the hospital and was released the same day.

Better not scare the new guys away. Great White sharks don't eat people, and they typically do not attack scuba divers. Marco was test bitten most likely because he had a ton of electronic equipment turned on and attached to his body. He went to the hospital and was released the same day.

Thanks for the lol replies!
In perspective...
More people died in Yosemite last year, than have been attacked off the North Coast.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

Fort Ross is one of my favorite local dive sites. On NCD there is section with dive sites that should have a pretty good explanation of the dive routine there. http://www.thenorthcoastdivers.org/forum/index.php?topic=160.0 The board got all screwed up and much of the info was lost.

At this point I cannot commit to going, but "might" be able to get a day away. Hopefully you can find someone to get out there with :)

Thanks for the link to the links ! I also found some YouTube video's by searching "scuba fort ross" Too bad the budget cuts hit the local campground and park, as read on the State Parks website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I visited the 2 coves that make up Fort Ross as well as the museum and fort. The sandy beach is one of the most beautiful coves on the coast. Really bummed that I couldn't dive today, no buddy and the conditions seemed a little rough, even for a protected cove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom