Anyone ever seen a boat like this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/2/78770892.htm

Its a 1959 Lone Star Cruise Liner (I think thats the model anyways)

Its at a local marina and must be the strangest thing I've ever seen, and for one good reason, its all aluminum, well plus its an outboard cruiser. That particular boat even had its (I assume) original heavy plywood floor replaced with diamond plate aluminum.
That thing must weigh half of what the equivalent modern fiberglass I/O cruiser weighs.
(Which means I may be able to sell my truck and tow it with my cherokee)

It looks like a real project but if I could talk them down I might be interested in taking it on. It would be a little akward to get in and out of for a dive boat, but for everything else it could do I think I could live with that. Thats gotta be the smallest boat ive ever seen to include a bathroom and kitchen area with water system (well, the space where both of those used to be anyways).

I have the capability to install water systems and motors and do wiring and such since I do marine repair work, and I could get a Yamaha or Mercury outboard for dealer cost to put on it next summer. What do you suppose I should offer them for something like that, I think the guy said they were down to $1,600 on it last time I was in there. Keep in mind the motor and controls were sold off of it and the trailer is a crappy basic thing that doesn't even have brakes as I recall. Plus that funny bubble windshield is cracked and iam not sure I could even have one of those made.

Having been through the exact same kind of deal, I would remember the old marine aphorism: You buy the motor, they throw in the hull for free!

With those kinds of needed repairs, such as building a new frame for the windshield and putting in glass, and all the install work and wiring, if you pay more than $1000 for it you are getting R***D!

I agree, that was the maximum I was hoping for, luckily its been there a long while and I can wait a long while more.

Are those gas tanks even legal mounted how they are?

Also to note, it is a consignment boat not owned by the marina, so its the original nutcase who probably thinks his awesome upgrades are worth a ton that is holding out.

Hey winter is the time to buy a boat got mine like $1000 less than book and then had them store it and spring prep for just a few bucks down!
keep looking! one way is to drive around towns on lakes all the time you see private deals,

I had a 73 Starcraft alot like that. Couldnt sell the thing to
save my life. Ended up givin it away. Just dont pay too much.:05:

My cousin had the 18 foot version of that very boat. It was horrid. I bobbed like a cork and rolled badly as well. It pounded terribly and was very noisy to be in--kinda like riding in a tin can. Aluminum is brilliant for making airplanes from but boats--maybe not. I hated that boat. I think it is a dive site now about 20 miles out of Port Morgan, not exactly sure, it went down awfully fast and they did not have GPS way back then. N

Like nemrod said its an older hull style and will not handle that great,also the older boats do not have foam filled compartments to make them "unsinkable" they will have air compartments that are just as likely to fill with water as the rest of the boat.newer boats will sink but usually are designed to stay at the surface. cool looking boat though,I do beleive it is way overpriced in its condition

It could be a bout 1000 lbs, it is aluminum, 040 and 032 thickness I remember. It will pound your teeth out.
Sink, holy cow, it was always trying to sink due to various leaks. When it finally did Deep Six the only thing that beat it to the bottom was the anchor--lol. Good luck with that thing. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom