Anyone ever had these symptoms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marineman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This all spawned, I think, from a dive taken last weekend (it is now Tuesday of the following week). I have been in touch with a doctor, and placed several calls to DAN. Both say I check out. I am 28, fit and active, and I am an Advanced Open Water Diver with 20+ dives. Not a pro, but not a total rookie either.

Dive profile:
Friday:
Dive 1 - 20', 30 minutes

Saturday:
Dive 2 - 25', 40 minutes
Dive 3 - 25', 35 minutes (problems equalizing)
Dive 4 - 30', 30 minutes (night)

Sunday:
Dive 5 - 40', 30 minutes
Dive 6 - 60', 35 minutes (regulator issues at depth)

The equalization issues were basic ear pressure. Ears were sore until the next dive, but I equalized fine and felt fine after that dive through most of the next day. The regulator issues were that my primary started breathing poorly in the cold Ohio water. I switched to my secondary after a few minutes and it was fine. No fast ascents, darts, rapid depth adjustments, etc. It was a calm, relaxed weekend with those couple exceptions.

Sunday night on the ride home probably 3-4 hours after the last dive I felt lightheaded, dizzy, lethargic, short of breath, and almost a little drunk in terms of balance and mental focus. FWIW, I did not drink the entire weekend. My chest also felt tight. No pain, tingling, paralysis, rash, marbling, etc. I've also noticed excessive gas, but no constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc. All symptoms have continued on for nine days now, but are somewhat hit or miss. The chest tightness is worst when I lay down for bed or after eating. I went to the doc the following Tuesday (7 day ago from now). They checked blood pressure, O2 blood level, temperature, heart rate, ears, and did a chest x-ray. I have also placed calls to DaN's med line for more advice/opinions. They said all appears well so I've provided tome for nature to run its course. Things are still not right.

I am especially worried because I have a vacation planned and paid for in a couple weeks out of the US, so I will have some time in a plane and I have every intention of diving. The symptoms are not going away yet everyone says I have nothing to worry about, but I know my body and something doesn't feel right. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on what I can do or what I should look for?

Thanks!

Well...

Those profiles don't look extreme to me at all so I would think that they chances of it being related to something like DCS is slim.

I'm not a doctor so take this for what it's worth (absolutely nothing) but if I had symptoms and a feeling that something "wasn't right" that persisted for several weeks after a dive then I would be wondering if I didn't pick up a parasite from the water. Was it fresh water? A small lake?

That wouldn't explain why you felt like crap right after the dive, but those symptoms could have been related to fatigue... dunno.

Have you ever had anything like this before?

R..

Reactions: Jax
Depending on time zones, and the schedules of those who frequent the various forums, you might experience a bit of a delay before the medical practitioners have a chance to weigh in.
Also, the Diving Medicine forum seems to get more play than the Ask Dr. Deco forum where you posted. You might want to ask one of the mods to relocate your thread. Please be patient. The excellent doctors who will eventually respond are providing their expertise at absolutely no cost.

I've never felt like this. It was a small lake in Ohio (Portage) which gets a lot of dive attention. I had the same though and actually asked some others there if they felt OK. My g/f was also on the dive with me and feels fine, as does everyone else I asked. It appears to just be me.

The doctor and DAN have assured me it doesn't sound like DCS or anything nitrogen related. I also wondered about CO2 toxicity, but it seems odd that everyone else is fine and it has carried on this long.

I have been a boater my entire life as well as an adrenaline junkie and traveler. Motion sickness has never been an issue.

Once again to be clear, I'm not a doctor, but it seems very unlikely to me that it could be CO2 related if the symptoms have persisted for this long.

R..

I agree, from what I have heard. The duration of it all is what is throwing me for a loop. Even if it was DCS or some kind of an embolism, it seems it would be getting worse. It isn't. Just the same basic thing on and off for over a week now. I attributed the dizziness and head issues to ear strain from my equalizing issues at first, but after the doc said they look perfect and it is continuing without change, I doubt that as well.

If we don't get a real professional in here soon this is going to start sounding like "House"...... "this broadcast brought to you by some English guy who does a pretty convincing American accent"

Sleeping well?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom