Anyone ever dove drunk... ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

except where there is a boat involved
face31.gif
Boats don't bother me.

Ive never felt as horrible as when hanging on the mooring line doing a safety stop while hungover. The dive was brilliant, hanging at the line spinning around the line and bobbing up and down with the swell - NOT SO MUCH!
Not done THAT more than once..

So let go of the line and hover :)

Boats don't bother me.

So let go of the line and hover :)
Tried that, changed nothing but the fact that I didnt have contact with the line.. For some reason the swell didnt magically disappear..

As in getting drunk and then going diving, no

As in getting drunk the night before and then going diving in the morning with residual alcohol, yes

Not a good idea

When I worked commercially one diver had smuggled a bottle of vodka into the sat chamber and consumed most of it one day as we were unable to dive due to weather, and we could not put the bell down.

I am not sure how much effect was pressure related, the chamber was at 120M, and this particular diver had personality that was rather aggressive at the best of times. I had having traveled with him a few times and he was not what I would say was an ideal traveling companion either. I was on the outside in charge of the sat system, but there were three other divers inside with him. Before he did anything crazier than get drunk and behaving like an ass, I had the other divers restrain him and take him into another chamber in the system (that we had to use to blow down two more replacement divers) to take him (and his buddy) out. Deco was more than 48 hrs IIRC, and of course he was sober when he came out. He never dived with us again.

Did a live aboard in Belize a few years back where one of the guests simply drank all night - never went to bed. He is one of two people banned from any trip our LDS does.

Done a whole lot of foolish things in my life, but not the drunk diver one. I have however had a beer and then went diving a couple hours later. No adverse effects from the beer. I don't make it a habit and feel I can wait for my after dive beer. :D

There was a time long ago when I was young and indestructible; I’d hang with some pretty “cool” characters. We had all just started diving that year or the year before, none of us had much diving experience. None of us were old enough to buy booze, of course that never stopped us.
On Fridays nights weather permitting we’d have parties on a beach in Westport Ma. We’d dive for bugs cook’em on the beach add more food to that and of course BEER, lots of beer and weed lots of weed.
So one night as young bucks do we started to BS each other, about what great seamen and divers we were. Which of course lead to a challenge. The challenge was to jump into the now raging current in the channel and catch a legal size bug. The current is over 3 knots. So with a stomach full of bugs and beer and a head full of weed I accepted the challenge! I jumped in, sank and was propelled by the water. The bottom was “moving” so fast I was out of the channel and in the sandy area before I got my light turned on! As F’d up as I was I realized I wasn’t going to get any bugs on this dive. Not being very bright but always lucky I felt my breathing getting hard, the J valve was restricting my air at 500psi it was time to surface. After a 20 min surface swim back to shore and a ½ mile hump back to the beach I was greeted by my girlfriend, everyone else was sleeping! The next morning my girlfriend told everyone that the bug I brought back was the best she ever ate! Bless her heart. J
Never dove drunk again. However diving stoned got to be sort of a regular thing for a while. The old timers in the dive club I joined a year or two later broke that habit. I've been diving clean and sober since. :)

When I worked commercially one diver had smuggled a bottle of vodka into the sat chamber and consumed most of it one day as we were unable to dive due to weather, and we could not put the bell down.

I used to work with a guy like that but he was drunk, high or both ALL the time. We had a special pre-dive test for him, we had him hook up his own communications, if he could not get the comm wires through the holes in the post we would not let him in the water that day.

Well I do know a certain group of divers who, when going for a night out, would put their dive bags in the trunk of their cars so they could go directly from the club to the dive boat at 07:30AM without wasting any time and then nap on the way out to the dive site.....
Oh to be young again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom