Anyone else ever have an "Air Out" experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sperbonzo:
Thanks, but like I said, it was a definite lessen regarding rental gear... YIKES!
you have experiences, now invest own gears before next dive trip...equipments renting aways got maintenance problem.

Jason Ooi:
you have experiences, now invest own gears before next dive trip...equipments renting aways got maintenance problem.

Absolutely... I HAVE all my equipment, but this was a last minute business trip, I didn't think that I would have time to dive, so I didn't bring my gear. It was the first time in a long long time that I had rented.

I did alot of diving and spearfishing in St Croix USVI. I had rented gear from a local dive shop as mine was being serviced. My guage read fifteen hundred at seventy feet.
I was close to my buddy until a large grouper was spotted. he shot after it. My air just stopped. he was ten feet in front of me going down around some coral. I thought of somehow chasing him to get air. i did`nt realize how fast my mind could think! go for him and perish? or emergency ascent. well i`m here! but 70 ft takes a long time to cover, at least thats what it seemed. MORAL--- i`m notup to rentals not with regulators anyway!

Sperbonzo:
Absolutely... I HAVE all my equipment, but this was a last minute business trip, I didn't think that I would have time to dive, so I didn't bring my gear. It was the first time in a long long time that I had rented.
Nightmare!!!!!! I witness before saw the H/P hose burst will under water diving, dam scary.....I say to myself never rent any gears from dive operator....:no

Yes, I have had an OOA experience, at about 60ft. My training kicked in, and here I am, none the worse for wear.

Hi, With regard to rental gear. This past August I and my daughter and her boyfriend went to Aruba and did 4 dives with Red Sail. I never had a problem with them in the past years when I rented gear. this year I had mine however, my daughter and her boyfriend rented. Both BCD's did not hold air. Replacement BCD's were ok and they enjoyed two dives. When we returned I made sure that they had their own gear. With regard to OOA. I was in my AOW course. The course was over and we re doing a fun dive. I am very bad on air. I have to dive 104 low pressure 2400's. During the dive (80'S) I kept signaling the DM that I was getting low on air. He kept signaling to calm down. Well I was new and figured he was right and when I calmed down I would do better on air. I went empty at 35 feet and made a very interesting OOA accent. I never want that to happenagain. This was completely my fault. My gague is tethered to my side. LNS

Yup. It was entirely my fault and I lucked out. Buddy and I were last out of a wreck, with bare minimum on a training dive. I was using my second hand J valve that I normally have ny tied into the reserve on position. The shop employee that filled the tank, cut it off and I hadn't noticed during my check. It was inadvertantly placed in reserve off. Took that sudden no air feeling in stride, saw my spg still reading 500, tried my octo. Nope, then looked at my buddy. That's when at the same time, both of our computers starting ringing that dreaded deco. Ruhh rohh. Buddy is an air hog to boot. Now what? 90 feet up? Suddenly...another diver appears with doubles and a lovely pony. Swimming away from me and already a 20 foot swim. 20 or 90? Deco or no deco? Not a hard decision to make. Off I went chasing those doubles. I'm still here, that gas was good. My buddy finnished his deco with us on his tank, just barely. It quit when he surfaced. If I made that direct ascent, would I have been bent? Doubtful as I used the B'Air and it's pretty consevative, but always possible. Do I still use a J valve? Nope, it got changed the second we got back from the charter. Will I push the thirds rule again? Nope. Do I carry a pony or spare air now? Yup. Would I make the same decision again, in those circumstances? Yup. The distance I swam no air together with the distance to the surface, was about 120 feet. Within what most divers can do in an emergency direct ascent. How long did it take to do all the math involved? About 3 seconds to decide the options and what order to carry them out. If those doubles were empty, I could still make a direct ascent.
Lessons learned.

My husband's Apeks shows 300psi in the tank even when the regulator is not hooked up to the tank. When I took it to the local LDS for it's annual service I mentioned that little discrepancy. I was told that the acceptable deviation for a pressure gauge is 10% and hubby's was in that range so they couldn't do anything about it. GRRRRR!
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber

I would go back into the LDS and raise hell. 300 psi error when the tank is full would be about 10%. When the tank is getting empty it is a huge error.

Wow! Some intense stories.

lns92:
The course was over and we re doing a fun dive. I am very bad on air. I have to dive 104 low pressure 2400's.

LOL!! I'm pretty bad on air also, I dive with an HP 120 at 3400 so that I can stay down with some of my "fish" friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom