Anyone else ever have an "Air Out" experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sperbonzo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in Durban South Africa last December, and traveled north to Sodwana Bay about 400KM north along the coast. I hadn't brought any gear along for this trip so I rented everything. (This would turn out to be a BIG mistake). We were in a 30foot Zodiac launched from the beach in huge swells... Lots of fun!:D

We dive down to a beautiful reef about 55 to 60 feet down and proceeded to wander around the reef. Everyone else was a couple on the dive, so I buddied up with the dive master.

The rental regulator was pretty rough to pull on, and the BC wasn't balancing quite right... all kind of distracting, but the most annoying part was that I wasn't as relaxed as normal and so I used up air pretty fast for a drift dive.

I look at my SPG and realize that I need to go up... I'm well above the red, but I want plenty of air for both my safety stop and getting to the boat in rough seas, so I get the DMs attention, show my pressure dial, and signal that I'm going up. He nods and turns away, and so do I. I take the first couple of strokes away and up the flag line when my air just stops.

I had let my breath out, and then pulled for the next breath and it was like a hand clamped on my mouth.

Boy will THAT get your attention!! I wasn't frightened but definitely perturbed and suddenly VERY alert! I spin around and swim back to the DM, grab his shoulder and make the "Out of Air" signal. He grabs his Octo, and hands it to me, and after a minute we go up to the surface (with the safety stop). Once there I inflate my BC by mouth and the DM goes back down while I head for the boat.

The gauge STILL showed plenty of air left, even though there wasn't any.

I will NEVER use rented gear after this. I always bring everything but weights and tanks, and pay no attention to the lost luggage space.

hold on...putting popcorn in the microwave.

Yep, diving in South Africa is a little more hardcore........don't see the problem, you dove till your air was finished? I rented gear there too, and it's definately not on par with the local shops.

ShakaZulu:
Yep, diving in South Africa is a little more hardcore........don't see the problem, you dove till your air was finished?

No... the gauge was bad. It showed air when there wasn't any.

Sperbonzo:
The gauge STILL showed plenty of air left, even though there wasn't any.

This can sometimes happen if either the regulator or the tank valve becomes clogged with debris from inside the tank, like a bit of rust or something. It can also happen if the gauge is broken.

Sounds like you did fine, though. You remembered your training and did what you were trained to do. Well done.

I've never run out of air in the sense of using it all, but I've had an OOA in the sense of losing track of my regulators (yes, both of them) in a kind of confused situation when I was assisting with a rescue course. That was 20 years ago and I've become a little better at keeping track of my regs since then :D To make a long story short, we (me and the student) ended up doing a buddy-breathing ascent from somewhere between 30ft and the surface and everything ended fine.

R..

I haven't had my air stop, but stories like this one are part of the reason I'm so irritating about my buddy staying close to me.

I'm sure this is going to happen to me soon, though. At some point, I'm sure I'll screw up a valve drill and end up with both posts off :)

TSandM:
I'm sure this is going to happen to me soon, though. At some point, I'm sure I'll screw up a valve drill and end up with both posts off :)

At which point one of your dive buddies will shove their reg in your face . . . :D

To the OP, it seems like you did a good job of staying calm, and kudos to you for planning enough gas for the conditions . . . goes to show that even with good planning, gear can fail . . .

TSandM:
At some point, I'm sure I'll screw up a valve drill and end up with both posts off :)

LOL... If you take a good enough Adv EANx course it will happen sooner than you think... :wink:

R..

dsteding:
At which point one of your dive buddies will shove their reg in your face . . . :D

To the OP, it seems like you did a good job of staying calm, and kudos to you for planning enough gas for the conditions . . . goes to show that even with good planning, gear can fail . . .

Thanks, but like I said, it was a definite lessen regarding rental gear... YIKES!

Sperbonzo:
No... the gauge was bad. It showed air when there wasn't any.

Just being sarcastic my friend......good job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom