Anyone done any oil rig dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daveninja

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!

Been searching for over an hour now. Should have probably just came here first. The last weekend of August my Dad is coming down to visit to hang out, cool off in the mild Texas sun (he lives in NY poor guy is gonna melt), drink some margaritas, and dive. I'll be giving him the tour of Lake Travis of course, but would like to take the opportunity for me and my wife to dive in the ocean for the first time, hoping for better vis.

Anyway, as much as I definitely want to check out the Flower Gardens someday, what we're really looking for is something closer in so as not to have to spend days out as sea. I found some pictures of the GA 393 Oil Rig which looks great as is only 17 miles south of Freeport.

So I was wondering if anyone:

1) Has ever dove there?
2) Knows who runs boats just out to the rig?
3) Knows of any other rigs close in with good vis?
4) Has any other information they would be kind enough to share.

Thanks for any responses y'all can give me!!

BTW, I went out to Lake Travis yesterday. It was fantastic! I pretended I was diving on another planet where the seas were made of soup, and time accelerated the deeper you got, turning day into night! Just imagine the stairs are giant spoons sliding past the edge and into the bowl and you'll see what I mean (then again, probably not).

look at ultradive.com
have been on his boat runs good operation.
done as day trip out of Freeport

Our area (Port Arthur) has many boats heading out all of the time - no idea which side of central Texas you're on. When I went to rig #368 (60m out), the viz was about 30-35 feet, and they said that it was a not-so-good-day. I've been told that on good days you can read the writing on a diver's wetsuit if they are on the bottom (71fsw) from your safety stop.

Here's a couple of operations that have been highly recommended to us. We haven't used them personally but have friends who have and they've been pleased with both.

First, got to Texas Tropics and choose Texas Dive site. Look for Ultra Dive.

The other is Boat Dive International

Good Luck!

I dove a near shore rig (3 miles offshore) from a beach launched hobie catermaran with vis in the 40' range off Corpus Christi. Local dive shops (Copelands & A Scuba Venture) run day trips on Sat & Sun to area rigs. I believe prices run about $75.00 for 2-tank trip and $100.00 for 3 tank. Although that's the best time for clear, calm seas; it's the gulf & that's hurricane season so seas and currents can be unpredictable.

Enjoy

My buddy and I will be diving this weekend 8/10/02, in the gulf off one of the rigs. We will be taking a boat out of the Sabine river and going about 50 miles out to one of the rigs there. The fellow who owns the boat likes to fish there. The vis there is great. We will cover the cost of gas for the boat which is $50.00 each. We will have our own equipment so our expense is low.

All,

I thought I wrote in here thanking everyone for their replies. Guess not. A little late, but thanks for all the replies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom