Anyone Diving this weekend in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a great shore-dive day. The wind and seas did lie down on Friday and the water cleared right away. Saturday was perfect - Sorry about that!

All I can say is that forecast winds did not materialize (thanks again NOAA) and the west breeze on Friday just helped things calm down sooner than anybody could have guessed.

Sunday looks fantastic but winds are shifting to out of the NE so the earlier dives will be much better.

Even 10' Hobie Cats were tied out at the balls as late as 2*PM. It's still like glass at 2:3Oam.

MikeJacobs:
It's been a maytag week. I tried out to 500 yards on Monday or Tuesday and the most fun was the body surfing AFTERWARD. It's been rough ever since, so it will take some time for the visibility to get back to normal... that would be Sunday even if it settled down to glass right now (which it isn't).

So... it's a boat-dive weekend here, anyway.

If I can get a sitter for Hermit Crab, I can dive this afternoon.. Gimmie a call 954-292-2685. (phone will be turned off during mass this morning)

Scuba_Jenny:
Gimmie a call 954-292-2685.

:11: I thought that number was 867-5309 ???????

:lol:
Actually, despite the GEORGOUS weather, looks like I will not be diving, but instead spending quality time with Hermit Crab this afternoon at the beach. Of course I will be bringing my snorkel gear and Spot (the dive flag).

... well, the conditions were great except for that brown/gray water-thing that happens from time to time. Saturday the water was that beautiful Carribean aqua color. We could easily spot fish and watched a 4' large ray right off the beach (no sharks). The ray's wingtips occasionally broke the surface... awesome. There was a large splotch of creeping crud that made things difficult for a while but after 40 minutes or so it drifted on south (toward Hibiscus). That was Saturday.

Sunday, the conditions were excellent except that murky crud was everywhere. The water was cold and dark. Where Saturday I could see the Copenhagen wreck from the surface, Sunday I could see nothing until I ducked down under it.

Whatever that crap is... I'm thinking tannin from the Everglades leaking out through the Hillsboro Outlet and then floating south on the current... it sure made visibility disappointing for divers & snorklers. Because everything else was perfect, I joined the many boaters at the balls, and even had a couple of short conversations and tried a hookah for the first time.

All in all, a great weekend!

MikeJacobs:
disappointing for divers & snorklers. Because everything else was perfect, I joined the many boaters at the balls, and even had a couple of short conversations and tried a hookah for the first time.

All in all, a great weekend!

So Mr. Mike.. What was in that hookah? that promoted conversations between boaterpeople and a diver?

:rofl:

Jeff

diver doh:
So Mr. Mike.. What was in that hookah? that promoted conversations between boaterpeople and a diver?:rofl: Jeff
I was really impressed with the hookah, BTW. He left it free-float off of an aluminum 80 which, of course, floated just fine. With about 40' of hose he could reach anyplace and ambush fish cruising the drop-off. I'm considering one now myself.

Brown crud floating with the current South... I think I saw that on creep show! That current is a northern current. You should be fine as long as you do not smoke too much pot, pass out, then try to kiss the pretty bikini clad girl.

Orlando Eric:
....You should be fine as long as you do not smoke too much pot, pass out, then try to kiss the pretty bikini clad girl.

Ummm, gee thanks for your concern, however I don't think I need to worry... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom