Anyone diving Monterey this Friday (3/2)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to diving, and I just wanted to get some more practice in before heading on my next vacation. What's a good way to find a diving buddy, for either Breakwater or Lover's or other local spots around Monterey?

If you are at Breakwater/etc, gearing up for diving, be very, very wary if someone whose name is Fred walks up and invites themselves on your dive.

...come to think, I haven't heard of a Fred sighting in the last couple years...anyone see him lately? Still the small red Mazda pickup?

All the best, James

What's the deal with Fred? Is this an inside joke?

ThrillCheng I think your best bet is a local dive shop's dive club, or you can look into Bamboo Reef Monterey's fun dives which are open to anyone, or check out meetup for scuba groups.

If you are at Breakwater/etc, gearing up for diving, be very, very wary if someone whose name is Fred walks up and invites themselves on your dive.

Okay, I remember about 20 years ago some guy by the name of Fred invited himself to dive with me and a buddy at Lobos. He had a ratty old wetsuit with a huge hole in the seat. It basically seemed to lack any insulating properties. They guy really knew point lobos though and lead us on a tour to hole in the wall and back when we were fairly new divers. Same guy? What's his story?

ok for anyone else that hasn't been diving in monterey as long as some of these other guys, here's the fred thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...erey-divers-especially-women-beware-fred.html

basically some creepy guy that has wandering hands with women and is rumored to turn the air off from other divers to force a buddy breathing scenario and also grabs people underwater and pulls them in an unplanned direction.

there doesn't seem to be any pictures of him but he often sits in a red pickup truck. granted the info in this thread is quite old.

picture of his pickup trunk
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/55397

i had some fat guy in a wetsuit ask me if i needed a buddy last weekend out at breakwater. i think he was either bald or had a shaved head. i don't remember what kind of car he was in, i think probably a pickup truck as the guy was sitting on at the end of his car when i walked by. it probably wasn't fred since chuck said he's moved to so cal, but it still creeps me out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom