Anyone diving a 5' hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a matter of chest size. I use a 5' and it works fine but there is not much play in it. My buddy has a bigger 'girth' in the chest than I do so I told him to go with the 6'. (keep in mind we both dive singles and dont have canister lights yet). The 6' fits him great.

Might give that a try.

...so I bought a 5'. I'm 5'10", 180lbs and it fits very well. I have a light now, and I'll go to the 7' hose, it's more versatile. You certainly don't need a canister to use a 7'. Hook it under your waist belt, or a harness pocket, or move your knife over, and hook it under the scabbard.

My hose collection continues to grow.

Joe

I tried the 5' hose, felt too short. Went to the 7 footer and tuck it under my pocket on my harness just as if it were my canister light.
IMHO the 5' is too short.

ID

Yep...

I feel like the 5' is just too short.

Ordered a 6', and will see how that fits. The 7' does seem like it may be perfect.... even without a canister light, but hey... why not just buy one... try it... put it away... buy another try it... put it away... buy another.... and....

I can always say all these hoses lying around are for the washing machine.... right?

i do even though i dont do the GUI or dir manily because i dont like wings at least not yet however i keep working on them since so many use them must not be that bad but still like my vest

If the primary is under the backup hose, you won't be able to donate properly. Think about if you had to exit in single file and your buddy somehow ends up behind you. The hose would wrap around the backup and possibly pull it out of your mouth.

As for the original question. I'm 5'8 about 170# and wear a 43 jacket. The 5' hose is a little snug, but I like the way the hose stays close to the body. I own a 7' hose but no light. I'm not sure I like the way the hose is tucked into the waist belt.

Ken

The primary hose is where your reg in your mouth is on. That goes OVER your 22" or 24" backup reg hose thats bungeed around your neck.

If opposite - you'd never be able to uncoil the 5-7 ft hose off your neck and hand it off..

I tried the 5 footer and it pulled to much on my reg. The 7 works great and I wouldn't go back. If you don't have a cannster light, I just tuck it into my waistbelt and it works fine.

I find a 5ft fits me fine and the 7ft is a pain. I dont need cave diving length and we cave dive solo in England (cant physically fit in a buddy). I'm 5'8"

But I route the reseve DV over my left shoulder to the bungie round my kneck. Easier routing and keeps the 2 well apart. Both are posiedons so not directional. Yellow DV in mouth to remind buddy.

Reserve HAS to go below the primary

I have been diving with my single 120 HP a five foot hose for several years (wife too). Because of my average size and normal weight, this length works nicely. It works with standard H or single Din valves.

For open water recreational diving I believe it offers the out of air diver the same advantage over longer hoses. The threads I have read indicate that this is a highly person thing and the actual length is not that important if it is comfortable. In cave and wreck penetration diving, the length then is very important and seven foot should be the length.

I use this rig everywhere I dive. I do not believe that safe diving should ever take a holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom