Anyone dive with just an analog timer/depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm wondering if there are many who don't care for computers who only use an analog timer/depth gauge? I don't see that very often personally.

If computers rot your brain then why would one buy a computer but only use it in gauge mode? I've seen comments suggesting that it's because of the downloading features that allow the dive profile to be saved in graphic form.

If you can use your brain to tell you time/depth/NDL info can't your brain also remember and recreate the graphic profile in your mind? Also, once you are diving using a system that you are comfortable with isn't your dive profile more or less the same everytime? Or a least isn't it reduced to just a few common profiles that cover most situations?

So my question is if computers rot your brain why does just about every tech or otherwise diver out there continue to buy computer's even if they don't use them as computers?

I have some friends who say they never watch TV as it's not good for you. It dulls the mind. You should be reading a good book instead. But they all have TV and cable. Supposedly it's for the educational programs on PBS. They also subscribe to Playboy for the articles.

I don't rely on a computer for much beyond gauge info either for the record but I do wonder about preaching against the use of computers by those who continue to buy computers.

What am I missing?

gcbryan:
I'm wondering if there are many who don't care for computers who only use an analog timer/depth gauge? I don't see that very often personally.
I have an air-only computer that I use for shore dives when I just want to keep track of dive info. I almost always run out of gas before hitting NDL on those dives anyhow, so brain rot isn't much of a factor.

For any dive I do with more complex gas planning than the rule of halves, I usually use an OMS bottom timer instead, although I may pocket the computer as a backup.

I have a Vytec that I use on every dive but it only rarely gets used as a computer.

First, it's nice to have a downloadable record of every dive, especially if you're as bad about logging as I am. Sure, I could write everything down during or immediately after the dive but I don't and don't have any intention of doing so. Most of the technical diving I do is deep and on those dives it's usually pretty easy to remember the profile. It's the recreational dives, where you often don't know where you're diving until you get on the boat, and the instructional dives, where I may have to bounce up and down 20 times in a day with students that make mental logs difficult.

Second, though I use my bottom timer to monitor technical dives, it's nice to have a back-up BT along. I could carry two BT's (and, yes, my buddy has one, too) but I've got the computer and it's coming along for the log function, so why not take advantage of it? I don't use the computer to calculate decompression obligations on technical dives - when it gets serious, I need to be involved in what's going on minute by minute and that's the situation that computers are designed to obviate.

Third, there are some recreational dive situations where a computer is nice. A week of repetitive diving where depth and time largely can't be planned and where "violating" decompression limits is a breach of ettiquette means either consistently running ratio calculations in my head (lots of work) or trusting the computer (much easier, maybe better) to keep me advised of where my saturation levels are.

All of the machismo aside, technical divers fear computers because we've seen - time and time again - divers who have no idea what they're doing and can only barely operate their computer. The fear that they will fail (and they do - I've had several die on me) is real but the concern about computers lies less with the tool than the operator.

Yes, of course I do. I use an auto winding analog mechanical dive watch and the back up for it is a mechanical analog pressure activated Pricenton Tectonics Bottom Timer. I use an analog depth guage, my favorite has a following needle that records the max depth. I set my watch when I leave the surface and of course the Bottom Timer starts ticking--literally --at ten feet. I don't have a computer, don't need one, I was born with one between my ears. Oh yeah, no batteries, no plugs, no charging. N

For the most part I dive like Nemrod. My Princeton Techtronics has saved my butt a few times when my computer has died on a dive. I use a computer on deep dives to maximize bottom time, but the majority of dives I do are in fairly shallow water where I run out of air well before bottom time. I use a watch with my Princeton tectronics as a back-up. No fuss, no muss diving. My computer stays in the bag.

I dive with just a bottom timer. But there are things I wish it had that you only get with a computer.

I haven't found the computer yet that will do as good a job as V-Planner on deep dives, so there I use a depth gauge and watch. (two of each)
But on most dives I do use a computer - Suunto Cobra - with depth gauge and watch backup.
Rick

The most awsome piece of technical equipment ever designed is located squarely between the ears (for most folks). Computers are nice and they have their place in diving. When it comes to planning and executing the dive though, there is no substitute to being involved in every step. Keep in mind that technical diving by some folks definition is 131' for 20 minutes or it could be at 60' while 300' or more into a wreck or cave. The one nice thing about growing up in this sport long before the days of tech diver, HOG, or DIR is I get to step back and listen to the younger guys rant about what technical diving is. It doesnt matter that I was pushing 300' about the time they were born or they only have 1,000 logged dives. Our sport is growing by leaps and bounds. Technology is growing with it. Everyone who survives it has something valuable to contribute. Turn on that God given computer between the ears and decide what is valuable to you and your style of diving. Make sound decisions and stand by your right to do something a certain way. In most cases, there is no reason to re-invent the wheel and a lot of what we know today was bought and paid for in blood, but there is certainly room to grow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom