Anyone dive with full or half upper denture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoodyLompoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I have a live aboard booked for November, but they have just developed a major dental issue.

In weighing the options (Dentists are seeming like used car salesmen, all trying to sell another model) a big question has come up:

A quicker fix will be some extractions and either a half or full denture (on top). Either of these would allow for recovery time by November.

Does anyone have experience with diving either a half or full upper denture? Any issues to look out for?

As the dentists we have spoken with have little to no dive experience; we have had "Of course you can dive with either." AND "No, you can never dive again." answers.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Of course, feel free to PM if you prefer.

There's mention of it in the rescue class as to not put a reg back in an unconscious divers mouth....

I certainly hope so as that is the path I have chosen.

There's mention of it in the rescue class as to not put a reg back in an unconscious divers mouth....

I certainly hope so as that is the path I have chosen.
I don’t get the link between unconscious and having half denture ?

Putting a reg back in someone’s mouth like that could push the denture into their airway, blocking it.

Look at long term doing posts, a more permanent replacement - of course it’s exponentially more expensive

I dive with upper and lower partial plates. They are more than secure enough to prevent them from being dislodged when putting a reg in my gob. I have never even considered this as a possible issue until this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom