Anyone dive this area north of Embassy suites on Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was looking at Google Earth today for possible dive sites off the Maui coast and it appears there is a ridge extending out to sea just past Embassy suites - W156*42'9" N20*57'9" or is this just clouds that I'm seeing (it's in a low res area of the map)?

Has anyone dove this area?

Mahalo for any info, Tim

beach1.jpg
btw - here's a pic of the area in question -

It sure looks like a ridge. Jump in and see....

Hey Tim,

It must be me, but I get nothing but line drawings on google earth, not satelite images. I must be doing something wrong, any hints? My computer meets all requirements, my wife's is only a half year old and very up to date, she has the same issues.

If the Kona satelite images are as good as the one you just showed, I'll be spending a bit of time on it if I can get it working.

later,

No Tim, that's not a ridge - at least not that I would interpret. This imagery is not good enough to see sub-surface formations. If you look at the clear 1 meter imagery in south Maui, you can see some reef formations, e.g. Ulua reef. Typical 1m satellites can pick up stuff to a depth of 90 feet in IDEAL conditions. Ulua reef shows clear only down to 20' or so - and you can just make out the outline of the outer reef which max's out at 35'. It was shot in what I would interpert as ideal conditions in Maui (very little wind!). Still - that's only about 0.1 mile offshore. Where you're looking, the "pink stuff" is almost surely wave action (look at the NE side of the island and you'll see a lot). Note that it does not fade away as the depth increases. Notice too how the wakes of the ships cut across the darker areas (like the "hook" just south of your area). Notice that the colors are not really true - they've been tweaked. You've dove Black Rock - right. Does the imagery there bear a resemblance to reality? I would say that all the features you see in the water are just the surface of the water.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

That's what I was wondering - so it could be reflection, or just turbulence below the surface or any number of other things...

Steve- There is a setting which switches between map "outline" mode and sattelite imagery. This is actually one of the "blurrier" areas - Maui has very little detailed info. Oahu has the most detailed in the state (understandably).

Aloha, Tim

OK I too have had photo interp and Im seeing unexplained shadowing along with surf breaks. Granted I was trained to look at trees and hills, oh so long ago but Im looking at something besides wave action. Go dive it and see!

kidspot:
Thanks Mark,

Steve- There is a setting which switches between map "outline" mode and sattelite imagery. This is actually one of the "blurrier" areas - Maui has very little detailed info. Oahu has the most detailed in the state (understandably).

Aloha, Tim

I get nothing but a white globe and whatever options I activate... borders, layer features, etc. No satelite image for anywhere on the planet, just a white globe and whatever features I check off. Any hint on where that setting might be found? I must be missing it but I thought I've fairly methodically gone through all menu options. I may need to try a google earth message board to solve this one.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom