Anyone dive East side of Bonaire with Larry's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason to do the west side by boat, is you get to do the second tank.

As a shore dive, we were so beat up by our first exit, we passed on a second dive there, and went back to the east side.

I think you are mixing east with west.

The west side is what typically gets dove via shore dive and the east side typically by boat. Hence the name of the boat operation.

We did the Larry's Wild Side with DeputyDan and friends, a few years back before he sold his boat. It was my son's 10th or 11th birthday present, and it was fun. The navy style inflatable was a neat experience and the diving was ok. As was said above, Larry is a unique character, in an old navy drill Sergent sort of way. Roll off entries are always fun, too.

Larger life than the west side, turtles, rays, tarpon, barracuda. Nothing all that spectacular, but we were glad we did the Wild Side boat ride, once.

Have not felt the need to do that boat dive again, BUT, after having just dived the west side again this last summer, but as a shore dive with another SB group, I would suggest that most divers would be better off doing these dives by boat. It can be dived from shore, but I would suggest a local guide if you do, as shore entries on the west side are NOTHING like shore entries on the east, calmer side.
Ya, Jim is getting directionally challenged, but we will forgive you. We were down in Bonaire the same time as Jim and after hearing his stories about how everyone got beat up on the shore dive, I would only do it via boat. Maybe on my next trip I will do the east side, but only via boat.

I've also dove the east side on several occasions (during day & at night) from shore at Cai. It is certainly a different type of experience. Having said that, it will never replace west side diving for me.

I think you are mixing east with west.

The west side is what typically gets dove via shore dive and the east side typically by boat. Hence the name of the boat operation.

Ya, Jim is getting directionally challenged, but we will forgive you. We were down in Bonaire the same time as Jim and after hearing his stories about how everyone got beat up on the shore dive, I would only do it via boat. Maybe on my next trip I will do the east side, but only via boat.

Sorry, for a minute I was mixed up, and must have been looking at my map uʍop-ǝpısdn :D

Thanks all,

We still are not sure if we will do it - will probably play it by ear. We have signed up for Dee Star's nature dive... It has been 5 years since we were last in Bonaire, so maybe the usual haunts will keep us entertained...

Ray

Wild side is a must do at least once. Everything is bigger and the tarpon in the white hole let you get real close to take their picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom