Anyone dive Canyon Lake or travis this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

panamax4

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Me and a buddy are wantin to dive on monday and i was wonderin if anybody knew what conditions were like.
Thanks
Dave

I dove Barstows Sunday with my gf (first dive for her out of OW) and the stringy stuff is back. Viz was pretty pathetic above 30, but there were spots bringing 10 foot or so. Temps ranged from 77-68 down to around 50'. Lots of fish, and apparently managed to scare the living crap out of some diver who decends down the stairs backwards.

We dove Windy Point on Saturday and Sunday, mostly deep dives in 75-90 ft range. The best vis I saw was about 12 ft around the 77 ft level. Water was 51-53 deg f at 90 ft depending on whose computer you trusted. Distinct thermoclimes at 20/40/60 feet.

OMG diving is so cool and that says a lot from a 49yo... Just got OW in Feb at Comal, advanced at Terrell and Nitrox and now ready for brown water at Windy Point Memorial Day weekend... Saturday-Monday if she can keep up...lol... Have spent hours studying map and was wondering if anyone had any bearings from the entry point to the various treasurers hidden beneath... Also, any and all advice, tips, etc welcome to make this a fun weekend...

Also, how does one become an Official "Texas Swamp Diver?" Got the T-Shirt now just gotta pass the initiation...

They call me Charlie and I live in Tyler...

we went out Monday and did three tanks for six dives. We were trying to do dives in the 50-60ft range But it was just too damn cold. Temp was 60 at 60ft and we were both diving 3mm suits with no hood so we were more than proud of ouselves to get 20-30 mins a dive. Like txdano said there were very noticable thermoclines throughout bit the first 2 thermos helped the viz go out to about 12ft..ish. It was my buddys first non-class dive and he's hooked. thanks for the reports everyone we had a great time!

Dove North Park at Canyon Lake on Thursday. It was a little overcast but fine, the lake was a little choppy due to the wind and it sprinkled on us a couple of times. Outside temp was in the mid 80's, we were able to get two dives in before the real rain rolled in. First dive was max depth 82' and 62 degrees with about 10 foot visibility, there were two thermoclines one around 45-47' and another around 72', water temp above the thermocline was around 77 degrees. Visibility was ok above the clines at 5-8' but a little dark due to the cloud cover. Second dive we just skirted the first thermocline at around 47 feet. All and all not a bad day of diving, I think we're going to do the Comal on Wednesday, the 30th.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Dove North Park at Canyon Lake on Thursday. It was a little overcast but fine, the lake was a little choppy due to the wind and it sprinkled on us a couple of times. Outside temp was in the mid 80's, we were able to get two dives in before the real rain rolled in. First dive was max depth 82' and 62 degrees with about 10 foot visibility, there were two thermoclines one around 45-47' and another around 72', water temp above the thermocline was around 77 degrees. Visibility was ok above the clines at 5-8' but a little dark due to the cloud cover. Second dive we just skirted the first thermocline at around 47 feet. All and all not a bad day of diving, I think we're going to do the Comal on Wednesday, the 30th.

Thanks for the report and pics..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom