Anyone Considered XS Scuba's HP 40 cf Pony Bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Mike at XS says this bottle is about the same size as a LP 19 so it seemed attractive.
Even if a HP complete fill isn't possible in some shops it seems like about a 35cf fill is likely @ 3,000? I'm pretty sure this is a relatively new product...

I really don't want to go into any "Why you want a pony" debates as I've read 'em all but would appreciate knowing if anyone owns/uses this bottle yet and what they think of it. If I'm willing to get at least a 30 cf fill in this bottle if I can't get a complete HP fill does anyone see a reason not to purchase one? I do wonder about using a steel pony with a steel 95 single. I'd probably sling it . I imagine tank mounting it would be too much of a trimming nightmare?

Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim:
Just to be clear, what I said is the steel pony X5-40 has approximately the same height as a Luxfer aluminum 19, both are about 18.75 inches. Most of the other specifications are quite different, including diameter, tare weight, fill pressure, buoyancy, bottom shape, cost, exterior finish.

Steel pony cylinders are available in four sizes; 13 cuft, 19 cuft, 30 cuft & 40 cuft. All are DOT 3AA cylinders with a 10% overfill and TC (Canada) approval. The working pressure is 3130 psi, 3442 psi with 10% overfill. We have them manufactured in Tilbury, Canada by Worthington Cylinder. The exterior finish is Hot Dip Galvanization.

These cylinders are in stock and have been shipping since late last year. They are available through both XS Scuba and Sea Pearls dealers.

You can view the specifications of all of the new steel pony cylinders here http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

This link has the Luxfer aluminum cylinder specifications for comparison http://xsscuba.com/tank_alum_specs.html

jim T.:
Mike at XS says this bottle is about the same size as a LP 19 so it seemed attractive.
Even if a HP complete fill isn't possible in some shops it seems like about a 35cf fill is likely @ 3,000? I'm pretty sure this is a relatively new product...

I really don't want to go into any "Why you want a pony" debates as I've read 'em all but would appreciate knowing if anyone owns/uses this bottle yet and what they think of it. If I'm willing to get at least a 30 cf fill in this bottle if I can't get a complete HP fill does anyone see a reason not to purchase one? I do wonder about using a steel pony with a steel 95 single. I'd probably sling it . I imagine tank mounting it would be too much of a trimming nightmare?

Thanks, Jim

They would be great if throwing your trim off wasn't a problem.

I use a AL 30 -1lbs a 40 AL is like -.74 I have no trim problem at all,Is the steel cheap? can or do you need more weight? Ponys dont have the cycle use just the fill in them all the time.
My 2 cents
oh
see my pal Barry at dive sales he haves some great tank prices steel/Al free ship and valve >you get the viz and gas!
www.divesales.com

Well, although the weight of the steel pony does invite other "considerations", trim, etc. I was thinking that removing the equivalent of the approx. 6 lbs. from that side of my belt wouldn't be a big deal if I sling the bottle. At the present time, I'm of the school that the pony is only for me in the event of an o ring failure, etc. but IF i sling it rather than back tank mount it, shoving a -6lb. bottle towards a buddy shouldn't be too much of an effort?

It's definitely the size of this bottle and its' ability to contain at least 30lbs. cf if I can't get a HP fill, that appeals. Does anyone know of a similar sized aluminum
30cf or 40cf bottle? (Not possible as far as I know due to LP/materials) I have dove to 90 ft. on tropical boat dives and thought having more than a 19cf in a similar size for travel or for my usual cold water/drysuit diving a great thing. Like many, I'm often paired with a buddy I don't know or who disappears in low viz. etc.
The relative bouyancy of an alum. pony at the end of a dive appeals also though, but I'm not excited about diving with the length of the usual 30-40cf bottle if there's another solution ala the XS bottle I'd be glad to hear of it.

Please keep the comments and education coming.

Thanks, Jim

Jim,
Your not using the gas in a pony,its a back up only! so weight is moot,
Gets some more dives in and see other guys rigs in your area,
good luck
Brad

You are missing the point. it's not the effort of struggling to lift a 6 lb bottle, its the sudden change in buoyancy as you part with the bottle - you will suddenly be 6lbs more buoyant. OK 6lbs isn't all that much but if you are handing off/ditching a bottle you will probably be in an emergency situation and not need more distractions.

jim T.:
shoving a -6lb. bottle towards a buddy shouldn't be too much of an effort?

jim T.:
Please keep the comments and education coming.
Jim,

Not trying to dogtalk new ideas, but I think you may be over-analyzing the situation a bit.

A 'bail-out' bottle will only be used if you suffer some sort of catastrophic failure at depth, and there is no other diver immediately available to offer gas.

While putting yourself in that situation to begin with may be debated endlessly, the fact is that once in that situation - you're going up. You perform a gas switch onto your bail-out bottle, and you ascend. The amount of relative bouyancy it adds or does not add is rather immaterial, as - assuming you're not entangled, in which case you're having a really bad day - you're ascending to the surface. Shouldn't take you more than 7 minutes max, and thats from 120' with a 3 minute safety stop, at a relaxed rate of 30 fpm.

As Oxyhacker noted, you may need to hand off the bail-out (under some truly bizarre set of circumstances), but even then you should be weighted properly without it, and the mechanics of adjusting for the variance ought not to be too challenging.

So assuming you plan properly and never need to use your bail-out bottle, its sorta six of one, half dozen of the other. It's immaterial which one you purchase, because you're simply going to sling it each dive and never use it. If you DO use it, you'll be on the surface 7 minutes later and it will STILL be immaterial what its made out of.

Buy whatever you want.

But, you might want to note that its buttloads easier to O2 clean an aluminum tank than it is to O2 clean a steel tank. You'll need to VIP it and O2 clean it annually. Steel flash-rusts. Steel is a PITA to O2 clean. You can O2 clean an aluminum tank at your kitchen sink. To O2 clean a steel tank requires special chemicals to avoid rusting, stands to hold the tank inverted, tumbler, media, hoses, hot air driers, and other assorted logistics.

Steel costs twice as much as aluminum, hell, you can pick up an aluminum 19 for $50 - you see them on the board all the time.

So if you compare acquisition cost, and maintenance & sustainability cost and level of effort, I suspect you'll find that aluminum tanks are simply easier to deal with.

But whatever yanks your trigger.

Best,

Doc

Oxyhacker, yes I figured on the buoyancy change. I have a pouch weight belt and always figured I'd start dropping 5lbs. at a time if I ever had to do an incremental ditch so I figured passing off a -6lb. bottle would be a similar deal...
I did miss the point in your post though!

Thanks Doc. As usual you're both concise AND detailed, just the kind of answers an overanalytical guy like me can use! :)
I wasn't aware of the O2 cleaning issues so thanks for that. At this stage of the game I'm only dealing with air but I should consider future needs.

Yes, 99.9%-100% of the time I assume that I'll be packing the pony bottle out as full as I went in with it so the weighting/buoyancy issue seemed to be a minor consideration I can deal with.

My over anaylization of things stems from my still being a relatively new diver. You're not the first to notice that trait :) (Just ask my wife!)

Thanks guys. I'll "weigh" this issue awhile longer and decide what I'll purchase in the next few months. I appreciate your help as always.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom