Anyone Compared a Shockwave LED with a UK Light Cannon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that you'll be able to just switch out the bulb from an HID to an LED. An HID requires a ballast, now most usually found inside the can to protect it. The LED will most probably require a lower voltage source than the HID, though that will depend on the electronics design. Mine is a 3 watt 4.5volt bulb that puts out 140 lumens. I just use a small battery pack of AA Ni-Mh batteries. Gives me about 2.5 hours of burn time. Look at solus LED canlights. The days of really bright commercial LED canlights aren't far off.

Cree, Seoul and Luxeon are all advertising upcoming LED's that will produce around 100 lumens/watt. A 3 (3*3 watt) LED light like your Shockwave could be putting out close to an 18watt HID. There are some issues with how tight the beam will be with an array of emmitters rather than a point source like and HID, but I kind of doubt that'll be a real issue for most Rec divers.

Check out the Solus LED canlights. Super tough.

Jake

Hi Guys. Thanks. Yes I've searched but haven't seen a direct personal experience comparison between the two until now. The LED's durability definitely appeals. I'm very anal about my gear care but I do bang things or drop them now again so a $100 replacement bulb definitely didn't appeal to me unless it was for a 21watt can light someday...

In Pacific N.W. waters, I need enough "cut through" to signal a buddy who's strayed a bit if
I get hung up in kelp, etc. The Shockwave will be a lot brighter than what I'm using, but
hopefully focused "enough" to signal adequately to a slightly straying buddy.

I've dived with two different borrowed Light Cannons and their charges didn't last through two dives. (I was told they were fully charged...?)

If you guys have anything to add please do. I may look at purchasing a Shockwave today (in a few hrs.)

Thanks again for your input.
if my LDS has one at an "acceptable" price.

Buddahsummer, what is your location/dive area? Cold water?
Our average viz is about 15' with plankton/particulate matter if that helps...

The Light Canon blows away LED lights that I've seen, but the burn times on LED lights are nice, as is the durability. I don't throw my dive lights around, however, and I've never had a problem with either of my Light Canons. Don't drop them onto concrete (good advice for any waterproof device made of plastic, be it HID or LED) and you'll be fine.

As for burn time... the NiCad rechargeable packs UK sells for the light canon are complete crap. Get some good 6000 MaH NiMH C-cells from Thomas Distributing and you'll get a good 4 hour burn time out of your light canons. Mine last all through a dive day, although sometimes the fifth dive at night is an issue. (Part of why I have two!)

Things may change in the future with new tech LEDs in the pipeline, but so far no one over here has put the new technologies into a dive light with wide commercial distribution.

Thanks Web Monkey. If you're finding the Shockwave LED brighter than the Light Cannon, then I'm
convinced to go the Shockwave route. I presume that the beam won't be as tight as the cannon
but I was aware of the LED's durability which definitely appealed.

nwbrewer, thanks. I figured from what I've been reading that an LED can was going to be substantially different in construction and technology but wasn't sure about the ballast need/issues.
I may wait until the LED can lights are up to snuff and well accepted by tech divers if that's likely to happen in the next couple of yrs. or so. I'm wondering if all the 21watt HID can lights might become obsolete and hard to re-sell once the LED cans catch up...

I'll be PMing you tomorrow. I'm heading out the door right now. Thanks guys.

Thanks Web Monkey. If you're finding the Shockwave LED brighter than the Light Cannon, then I'm
convinced to go the Shockwave route. I presume that the beam won't be as tight as the cannon
but I was aware of the LED's durability which definitely appealed.

The 9W LED Shockwave is about even with the 10W HID. It's not brighter, it's about even.

The difference really isn't significant though, since human eyes are very adaptable, and it takes a huge difference in light output to make a substantial difference in apparent brightness.

Terry

The 9W LED Shockwave is about even with the 10W HID. It's not brighter, it's about even.

The difference really isn't significant though, since human eyes are very adaptable, and it takes a huge difference in light output to make a substantial difference in apparent brightness.

Terry

I'm snooping around for a light as well, and was leaning to the Light Cannon. Just wondering how the Shockwave's 170 lumens can equal the Cannon's 400 lumens. If this is true, I'd be a fool to spend the money on the Cannon.

I'm snooping around for a light as well, and was leaning to the Light Cannon. Just wondering how the Shockwave's 170 lumens can equal the Cannon's 400 lumens. If this is true, I'd be a fool to spend the money on the Cannon.

I have no idea how many lumens either is rated for, however they look about the same underwater.

Even if the LC turned out to be a hair brighter (it's hard to tell), it's an insignificant trade-off for getting 20+ hours of battery life and the ability to survive a drop on the floor or a baggage handler without needing a $100 light bulb.

Terry

The Shockwave is rated at 170 lumens and LC100 at 500 lumens. I would say those numbers are close to what I see with my eye's the LC100 is twice as bright with out a doubt. Not sure what Web Monkey is seeing maybe his light cannon has issues but it's hard to believe PT would under rate there lumen output by half.

The Shockwave is rated at 170 lumens and LC100 at 500 lumens. I would say those numbers are close to what I see with my eye's the LC100 is twice as bright with out a doubt. Not sure what Web Monkey is seeing maybe his light cannon has issues but it's hard to believe PT would under rate there lumen output by half.

Don't take my word for it.

Take one of each and go diving.

Terry

Don't take my word for it.

Take one of each and go diving.

Terry

Thats exactly what I did, and the Light Cannon was way brighter side by side. Only set backs for me was the replacement bulb which runs about a hundred bucks, and its insatiable appitite for batteries. I would recommend getting the rechargable battery for around 60 dollars.
Only problem I ever had with my light cannon was when it was stolen from me. So of course I had to buy another one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom