Anyone Compared a Shockwave LED with a UK Light Cannon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone here dived with a buddy/both lights side by side? Or own both?
I'd like to know if you feel their output in coldwater/low-ish viz to be similar or not even close.

Thanks.

If I remember correctly the light cannon is a HID where the Shockwave is just LED. On my trip to Bonaire, I used a UK C8 eLED which I think is pretty equal to the Shockwave LED. On a night dive my dive buddy was using some kind of HID that was about the same cost as the UK you mentioned. His light beam was much more focused so it cut through the mess. We were fairly shallow and the water was a little rough kicking up sand. His cut through better, but mine was not terribly worse. Mine did a much better job of overall illumination where his did better at penetrating through the sand. Overall I was very happy with the performance of my new light as I had no idea what to expect. For a less than half the price of his, I had a great light that worked well. Although it didn't light up as much, the lower output setting worked better for cutting through on mine. Headlights are the same in fog.

As for cold water you probably won't notice a difference. The more kicked up silt, the better off you will be with a HID. If it's just night dives, get the LED lamp and save yourself a couple hundred.

The shockwave is excellent and the bulb is much tougher.

I agree with the above...and as far as output goes you are comparing apples and oranges the UK light canon would be way brighter than the shockwave but LEDs generally give off more of a glow generally illuminating a larger area, the HID will be more focused, think light sabre, LEDs are very robust and virtually indestructable where as HID bulbs can be somewhat fragile and cost an aweful lot to replace. All said and done I too would go with the Shockwave LED. I own a Diverite LED 300 and am very happy with it for the type of diving I do (OW). There is so much information on this board about both HIDs and LEDs have a wee look around. Goodluck.

Hi Guys. Thanks. Yes I've searched but haven't seen a direct personal experience comparison between the two until now. The LED's durability definitely appeals. I'm very anal about my gear care but I do bang things or drop them now again so a $100 replacement bulb definitely didn't appeal to me unless it was for a 21watt can light someday...

In Pacific N.W. waters, I need enough "cut through" to signal a buddy who's strayed a bit if
I get hung up in kelp, etc. The Shockwave will be a lot brighter than what I'm using, but
hopefully focused "enough" to signal adequately to a slightly straying buddy.

I've dived with two different borrowed Light Cannons and their charges didn't last through two dives. (I was told they were fully charged...?)

If you guys have anything to add please do. I may look at purchasing a Shockwave today (in a few hrs.)

Thanks again for your input.
if my LDS has one at an "acceptable" price.

Buddahsummer, what is your location/dive area? Cold water?
Our average viz is about 15' with plankton/particulate matter if that helps...

LED's will have much much longer battery life than anything else out there. One of the reason's I went with the UK C8 eLED Plus was that it had a circuit in the light to try and keep output levels equal. I did 2 hours on my light with no noticeable change in brightness. I used it on a night dive with the guy who had a HID before going on a night snorkle with my wife. My wife's light had not been used before the snorkle. At the end of the swim, both had no noticeable difference in light output. The standard C8 LED and the Shockwave will be brighter at first than a light with this circuit, but will have output decrease over time. The change over time will be much slower than a standard filament bulb. They all will have the same bluish white light. WHile on the snorkle I was able to signal some divers while my wife pointed out 2 squids for them. The divers were probably about 25 feet under us. The squid were around the same depth but much further away. We were able to light the squid easily enough for the first diver to notice and then signal others. The Shockwave and C8 LED seem very equal. I would go with which ever company you like better or which ever you can get a better price with.

Hi there, most of my diving is in Japan so Id guess youd call in temperate as Im just north of Tokyo, although it does get pretty cold, vis ranges from around 5 on a bad day to about 15 on a good day, on a 5 bad day there is a fair amount of "stuff" suspended in the water and my LED cuts bthrough it pretty well, it is 300 lumens. Hope that helps...Im sure youll be happy with the shockwave I have some buddies who have them and although not as bright as my LED 300 still looks pretty respectable...

Hi everyone. Thanks very much. Yes, I had a "doh" moment when I realized that there were the old posts at the bottom of the thread/page. Still though, there wasn't a lot of direct comparison info. there so thought I'd ask for an "update".

Buddhasummer, Japan and the P.N.W. are very similar so that gave me great feedback.
I'd love to wait for an "affordable" LED can light that will match HID cans, but that seems
a few years off yet. Does anyone know if I do buy a Salvo if the future LED light heads will simply plug into the original HID cannisters or will new cannister innards be required as well?
I'm not an electronically technical guy at all but it seems likely that the two are not inclusive?
Thanks.

nwbrewer, I've just responded to your PM (Thanks again) but you likely can fill me in on my last question above?

I have them both.

There's really no contest. The 9 watt LED (3x3) light is just as bright as the HID light, but much sturdier and more tolerant of abuse. You're comparing a solid state low-voltage device with a practically infinite lifetime, with a fragile high-voltage device that has a limited lifetime even when treated well, and a very short lifetime when abused.

LEDs don't really care if they're dropped or banged, have a much longer lifetime, don't require a warm up and have a longer burn time (especially if you use the light on "medium" instead of "high".

The HID light hasn't been wet since the first time I used the LED light.

Terry

Anyone here dived with a buddy/both lights side by side? Or own both?
I'd like to know if you feel their output in coldwater/low-ish viz to be similar or not even close.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom