Anyone catch/eat NJ Stone Crabs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marcos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello fellow wreck divers. I enjoy catching lobster while wreck diving off the NJ coast and during my search for lobsters I find lots of stone crabs. or are they rock crabs? I saw one guy come back with a bag of them, but he said you can only eat their claws. I read somewhere else where people rip off their big claw and throw them back to regenerate it. Does anyone have any experience with these critters in the North Atlantic? I am considering collecting them while I'm looking for lobster, but I want to make sure they're worth the trouble and if so any preparation advice would be much appreciated. Some crab claws would be a fine appetizer for that 5lb bug I pull up this year!

Marcos:
Hello fellow wreck divers. I enjoy catching lobster while wreck diving off the NJ coast and during my search for lobsters I find lots of stone crabs. or are they rock crabs? I saw one guy come back with a bag of them, but he said you can only eat their claws. I read somewhere else where people rip off their big claw and throw them back to regenerate it. Does anyone have any experience with these critters in the North Atlantic? I am considering collecting them while I'm looking for lobster, but I want to make sure they're worth the trouble and if so any preparation advice would be much appreciated. Some crab claws would be a fine appetizer for that 5lb bug I pull up this year!

Don't waste your time on the jersey version. Keep looking for the bugs and good luck. You may want to try a little spearfishing as sea bass is some mighty fine eatin'.

JeffH

I was fearing I would hear that. I guess they're not good eating? Maybe they're not as big as the ones in Florida? I guess they aren't worth dealing with for just their claws. I thought I might as well throw them in the game bag since I always see them on the wooden wrecks. Oh well, I guess I'll focus on lobsters. Thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom