Anyone booked a dive trip thru PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleNat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’d like to do a quick dive trip in November, 3-4 days to refresh my skills before a 2 week dive trip to Fiji. (Last dive was Feb 23, 2023) I saw thru the PADI site that I could book a package to La Paz thru them, and it includes dives with a dive shop. Has anyone done this? Is it a good deal or is it better to figure it out separately?

Also, if we were to go to CSL instead (easier to get to from Los Angeles) can anyone recommend a dive resort?

If you go to CSL, be careful with trying to bring in photographic equipment.

Holy cow, had no idea about this racket. CSL is off my list for sure.

Holy cow, had no idea about this racket. CSL is off my list for sure.

There are some SB threads discussing it as well.

Also, if we were to go to CSL instead (easier to get to from Los Angeles) can anyone recommend a dive resort?
Not sure if there is an actual dive resort in CSL, but several resorts are walking distance to the marina where the dive ops are located. Dive Cabo and Manta Scuba are a few good ops. If interested in the day trip to dive in Cabo Pulmo, the cheapest way to go is through Cabo Adventures, also located in the marina. I've stayed at the Los Cabos Golf Resort a couple of times and used Uber to take the 10 minute ride to the marina.

be careful with trying to bring in photographic equipment.
From what I've read, bringing too many of any type of electronic device (2 cameras, 2 phones, 2 iPads, etc...) into Mexico might lead to being taxed on any device(s) over the allowed amount. The article linked above, from 2021, refers to professional equipment. I haven't had any problem taking my little SeaLife camera/light into CSL.

From what I've read, bringing too many of any type of electronic device (2 cameras, 2 phones, 2 iPads, etc...) into Mexico might lead to being taxed on any device(s) over the allowed amount. The article linked above, from 2021, refers to professional equipment. I haven't had any problem taking my little SeaLife camera/light into CSL.
My dive buddy was hit with the tax on his Sealife DC2000 last year; they charged him $90.00.

My dive buddy was hit with the tax on his Sealife DC2000 last year; they charged him $90.00.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but WOW! Guess I've been lucky - I went through the Los Cabos airport in 2018 and 2022. I usually carry my camera, also the DC2000, in my backpack - maybe it appears to be a cheap touristy camera. I pack the housing sometimes in my carryon suitcase and sometimes in checked. Wonder if how it's carried in is a factor?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but …
Not saying you’re hijacking but just pointing out again that there have been threads on this in the Mexico forum that you could look at. Just trying to be helpful. :D

The Mexican camera extortion is real. I've been a target twice. They are not counting the number of devices. They are specifically targeting divers. Best to avoid CSL. La Paz has reported the same problems but not as bad as CSL. Go to Cozumel. The extortion scam hasn't made its way there yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom