Anyone been to Huracan Dive Resort recently??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLessick

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

My wife and I are planning a Belizian trip for mid-November.. I've looked at the resorts on Turneffe Atoll, Glover's Reef and Lighthouse Atoll.

It seems that some resorts like Blackbeard Caye and Turneffe Island Resort have nicer onshore amenities, it seems that Huracan Resort on Lighthouse Atoll has by far the best diving.

We are kinda torn between beachftont rooms and freshwater pools, at 50% higher price, vs a true eco-resort and what seems to be the best diving.

Has anyone been to Huracan or the others and able to provide any thoughts on their experiences??

Thanks,
Tom

Contact Stoo Seldan. He has gone there every year for many years and loves it there. Look up Stoo

Thanks for the tip..I need to post 5 times before I can send a personal message to him..not sure if replying like this counts or not...

I assume you saw my reply on the other thread where you asked the same question?

I've looked at the resorts on Turneffe Atoll, Glover's Reef and Lighthouse Atoll.
We've stayed/dove at all three a number of times. Off the Wall on Glovers (3 times), Turneffe Island Resort on Turneffe (5 or 6 times) and Huracan on Lighthouse (4 times). We've liked our stays at all three for different reasons.
Off the Wall- Small eco style operation and well run, the on-site owners/managers (Jim and Kendra) are great. The food is served "family style" in an open-air cabana. very laid back and relaxing atmosphere. Options for kayaking, snorkeling, etc. The water side cabanas are open-air, basic, but nice. Consistent ocean breezes and wave noise make for great sleeping. Little to no bugs, except on the inland south end of the island. The diving is good, but I think the site variation is a little more lacking than the other two places. It's mostly wall on my left, wall on my right, diving, and not a lot of variation in the underwater topography. All the dive sites they normally use are maybe a 3-5 minute boat ride. We enjoyed our stays there and wouldn't hesitate to go back.
Turneffe Island Resort- Much more "upscale" than the other two, but you also pay for it. Larger operation also with a max guest number of around 40-45. Staff to guest ratio is very good for the entire operation. Boats, equipment and staff are all top notch. The cabins are very nice, king beds, air conditioned, mini-fridge, etc. The food is very good with a set menu with daily options for every meal. The dive sites are good and also very close. A few sites maybe a little on the decline but still good. The elbow dive site is right there and never know what may show up there. They do the Blue hole, Half moon and pic-nic day on Tuesdays, which is a great day/experience. They raised the prices again a few years ago, which is the only reason we haven't been back.
Huracan Lodge- Small eco operation, 10 guests max capacity. The lodge structure sits inland a little due to the fact that it was originally designed to be a Hurricane shelter. This means there is less breeze, maybe a little hotter at night and more bugs. The staff are very good and we've gotten to know them over the years. The food is consistently good and chef Shannon does a great job. The dive sites are close, but offer a lot of options depending on which side of the Caye you dive. I like the variation in dive site types with a lot of variation in topography depending on the site. They are the closest operation to the Blue Hole so they are first to arrive and you are usually finishing the dive before any other boat shows up. Since they are so close to the Blue Hole and Half moon they can be a little more flexible on the days they dive over there in case of weather issues. Open options for kayaking and snorkeling throughout the week.
Like I mentioned, we've enjoyed staying at all three as is evident by the number of times we've stayed at each. Hopefully my short run down gives you a little more information on each.
Feel free to PM me if you would like more specific information.

Hi, don't want to hijack the post, but am curious what the diving is like in October or early November? Last time I was in Little Cayman in October it wasn't great. Just wondering how Turneffe would be. Thanks much.

We've been to Belize a number of times in the first or second week of December, but not earlier. October and November are typically the rainiest months in Belize. I'm sure the diving would/could be good, but the weather might be much more questionable. The weather gets more consistent into December and on, but we've experienced a couple of Nortes in early December, the worst shut down diving for 3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom