Anyone been in a Zodiac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

My Boat is 17.5' and I do div it a lot solo. I prefer company but it is hard sometimes to get people out with me due to schedules.

I have a collapsible ladder. I have tried rigid ones but they are a pain an take up room. The collapsible one fits in small bag attached to hard points inside the boat. When we get to the dive site I pull it out of the pouch and throw it over. I also have a gear rope attached aft with a big SS snap t attach my rig, camera, etc before I climb in. I have found that the collapsible ladder makes it easier to get leverage getting also.

Space is always an issue but if I plan well and we pre-rig the first tank we can be comfortable with 3-4 people. I go our 10-15 miles from shore some times. I have even taken it 75 miles to BVI from PR with my gear. It is slow but fun. My USCG buddies think I am crazy but they go out with me also.

OP what is your Evinrudes horse power rating? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Weight of motor? Do you have a trailer and a tow vehicle? You can inflate and deflate every time, but it is a pain and will get old quickly. Get a Bravo pump, don't bother with a foot pump, as it just takes too much time and effort.

Are you thinking new or used? Be aware of PVC's limited lifespan. How big of a boat are you thinking? Do you own a chartplotter/sonar unit yet? What about a handheld VHF? Do you have a fixed mount VHF with antenna? Do you have a VHF with DSC?

The biggest consideration you need to think about is are you ready to dive off your own boat? Will the boat be left unattended? If so are you an expert at anchoring, and if you surface and can not return to the boat, do you have some form of technology like a radio or EPIRB to be able to call for help.

Small inflatables are a piece of cake to get back into. You do have to doff your gear in the water though. This requires tag lines. I make mine from hollow webbing with bungee cord inside so they have a little give. For my petite woman I put a d-ring on her heavy weight belt so she clip it off and drop it easily. When ready to re-enter just leave your fins on and power up onto the side. Then roll into the boat, or turn around and remove your fins. Having lifelines around the sides helps too.

We can fairly easily do 4 divers out of our 4.2m SIB.

RIB.net and Iboats both have specific inflatable/SIB forums that will offer more expertise than you can get here regarding boat purchases. No offense to any experts here, there is just a wealth of knowledge out there.

Bhtmec2 I would strongly recommend you build a bridle for your anchor line. Tying into one possible failure point could lead to disaster. Read your owners manual for more specifics.

135065d1347339437-carabiners-no-more-bridle.jpg

Bhtmec2 I would strongly recommend you build a bridle for your anchor line. Tying into one possible failure point could lead to disaster. Read your owners manual for more specifics.

135065d1347339437-carabiners-no-more-bridle.jpg

I have one. I had it in the bow bag and forgot to re attach it after doing some work a few days before the dive.

Good advise to the OP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Being an avid boater I have used and swam and dove off my tender for too many years. I know it's not recommended wisdom but I will put this out in the " don't do this at home category." the anti ventalation plate above the propeller can be an excellent "step" to assist you back into an inflatable. For obvious reasons this is not to be considered an acceptable point of rentry by the manufacturers of the boats, motors, or me for that matter. Even with that out there you will need to leave your kit in the water for other means of retrieval,

I used to dive out of my 16ft Zodiac all the time. Was fantastic as a dive boat!! I replaced the aluminum roll up floor with a solid piece of marine plywood. Made the boat sturdier. I also kept it inflated all the time - less wear and tear on the seams. I had 4 tag lines for gear, and when ending the dive, attach your gear to a tag line, flop over the side and pull your gear in. I could take 3 divers plus myself. Floorspace did get tight at times, but we managed. If I ever come across another one, I would get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom