Anyone been diving in Freeport, Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, my fiancee and I are looking at a getaway to the Bahamas. We originally wanted to dive Stuart Cove's Shark Dive in Nassau, but we can't get a timeshare there. So there is one available in Freeport, Bahamas...and Xanadu Dive Center is there. Anyone been diving there? How is the shark dive?

I highly recomend Grand Bahama Scuba. Great Boat, Staff/Crew.

They do a dive at Shark Junction. While not usually a feeding dive, you'll see plenty of Sharks!! (they have done some feeding dives).

They also have some Deep reefs, Medium Reefs, a Shallow Reef, and some cool wrecks!!

When we're in Freeport we stay at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. Nice place, freindly helpful staff and Grand Bahama Scuba is on site there, just a short walk from your room. Port Lucaya is ust a short bus ride away. There are lots of Shops and Bars there. Also Count Bassie Square.

Have a Happy Honeymoon!!

Thanks for the info, Tavi. Although this won't be a honeymoon (we're getting married next summer), it will be a nice little getaway. I'd still like to know if anyone has dove Xanadu and their experiences.

I dove with Xanadu several years ago and had a great time, we hit Theo's wreck and saw pickles the resident green moray, did a couple shallow reefs too but no shark sightings but we didn't do the shark dive. The boats were nice and well equipped, staff was friendly and professional, no complaints.

Definately rent scooters and head up to the National Park on the east end, the beaches there are amazing.

All the GB dive ops are exellent: Xanadu, GB Scuba, Sunn Odyssey Divers, and UNEXSO - all do sharks and dolphin dives. If you would like to do a cavern dive, call Christine Zenato at UNEXSO.

Xanadu is owned by Neal Watson and he has as much experience as any dive guide on Earth with at least eight dive ops through out the Bahamas and several others around the Caribbean.

daniel f aleman:
All the GB dive ops are exellent: Xanadu, GB Scuba, Sunn Odyssey Divers, and UNEXSO - all do sharks and dolphin dives. If you would like to do a cavern dive, call Christine Zenato at UNEXSO.

Xanadu is owned by Neal Watson and he has as much experience as any dive guide on Earth with at least eight dive ops through out the Bahamas and several others around the Caribbean.

But its run by Ben Cook...:D

Very good op...They will pick you up at any of the major hotel complexs...
http://www.xanadudive.com/Resort-Pick-Up-Times.html
The week I was there Xanadu had Sharks on their dive and UNEXSO got skunked...:D
And if you really want the experience...check this out...
http://www.xanadudive.com/Dive-Sites-Shark-Feeding-Program.html

Ben Cook is also certified Cave Instructor...

Here is Xanadu's website...http://www.xanadudive.com/

Whatever you do...make sure you are not staying at Xanadu...unless you are a hardcore diver...the hotel complex is iffy at best...

Excellent, just booked our hotel thru a timeshare exchange. Now I just need to book my dives.

If your staying at the Xanadu resort, I would recommend renting a car. It is off the beaten path and taxis add up very fast. The dive op. is great. Don't forget there are some great cavern dives there as well.

Freeport was my very first Caribbean dive trip, about six years back. (ah, sweet memories....) We dove with UNEXSO, and we were very pleased with the experience. We saw sharks on the regular dives and did the shark dive as well, which was a feed at the time. Great fun. My fave's as I recall were Theo's wreck and Caves. The dolphin dive they offered was great fun as well though a bit staged.

It's been a long time since I dove with Xanadu but years back they were a good operation.
I would suggest you NOT stay at the Xanadu resort. They are pretty much off the beaten path and you must take a cab or drive (taking your life in your own hands IMO). You would do much better to find a room in Port Lacaya.

Back
Top Bottom