Anyone add integrated weights to their non-integrated weight BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferraritechbrian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for reading,

ive been searching online and have had no luck in finding any leads.

im wondering if anyone has added an integrated weight system to their non integrated weight BC?

by adding weights i dont mean simply sticking weights in the pockets and getting wet. im talking about safely adding and fully functional removal weight pouch to their BC.

ive got a Scubapro Pilot BC and i use a weight belt.

if anyone hasnt tried this before, anyone have any ideas?

after some more searching, ive found zeagle to offer removable and dumpable integrated weight systems for their BC's that dont come with integrated weights. im wondering if i could apply this to mine somehow.

Last edited:
You could add these. Rear Mount Weights - Weight Pouches and Systems - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems They are shown upside down. The red taps should be located at the bottom and act as the releases for the weights. They install over the lower cam band. They came standard on the older Scout BC and are what I have used for years. They work fine as long as you do not need more than about 10 lbs of weight (total- 5+5), more than that they cause you to turtle. I rarely need more than 10 lbs but if I do I just add a weight belt with the extra weight.

...make sure you can easily reach the weights so they can be ditched in an emergency !

Hi,

You need to be careful with non-weight integrated BCs if you are thinking of modifying it to become weight integrated!

I agree the Zeagle cylinder weights that slide on the cylinder straps work well and can handle some weight (not too much however). They are designed to help you adjust your trim in the water.

The Scubapro pilot is a great BC, especially for travelers as it is really light weight. But the pockets cannot dump weights in an emergency and if you put too much in the cylinder weights behind you, it can be hard to reach to release those weights.

Be careful! I would suggest purchasing a bc that has been designed from the get go to accomodate weights.

Cold water divers who must carry a fair amount of lead have had success using DUI's Weight & Trim weight harness system. It really distributes the weight nicely over one's shoulders. However, this solution would probably be overkill in your situation.

Since you are based in Miami, you likely require less exposure protection...and consequently less lead. Generally, 6 lbs. or so on a weight belt really isn't a big deal. Do you find wearing a weight belt uncomfortable? Soft weights can make a weight belt more comfortable. XS Scuba makes a pocket-style weight belt that would accommodate soft weights.

The Scubapro Pilot is a standard jacket BCD with one tank camband. Perhaps you should consider shifting a couple of pounds to weight pockets mounted on the camband and continue to put the rest on a weight belt.

Have you determined where to place all of that weight so as to optimize your trim?

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I've been diving with a back inflation units (currently an OMS) for years using a mix of weights on double bands and a (waist) weight belt for trim. I've always carried enough on my waist to dump to become buoyant even early in the dive.

In more than 30 years and 1200+ dives, though, I've never had to dump weight. With good buoyancy control and a cool head, dumping weight to ascend ought to be the last resort.

^ Definitely agree that dumping weight is not exactly a common maneuver. In almost 10 years I have never done it and if I ever did I wouldn't be posting here today based on the locations where I dive......Instead of making modifications not intended by the manufacturer I would suggest switching to an integrated BC. If it is that important to you to have integrated weights, something which may save your life, you shouldn't go cheap on it and make an unreliable homemade rig...

Considering the listed weight pockets are/were used as a weight intergration system for the Scout, there is no reason not to use them on a different BC. They are easy to dump in the rare instance it may be needed.

thanks for all the wonderful responses. like i stated i want safety in mind. if there is a cheap alternative to added or slightly modifying dumpable integrated weights i would consider and try adding it on to my Scubapro Pilot BC. i emailed scubapro and i received a prompt email which states the following...

"hi there, there is no weight pocket integration for the pilot BCS. this BCS is a very base model and was no designed for an integration upgrade. it is a good idea to have a bolt on weight system. however, when we build bcd's to include the weight system we also construct the jacket with a considerable amount of reinforcement to prevent the jacket from coming apart at the seams. this adds cost and weight to the jacket. unfortunately to add the weight system you will need to upgrade the BCD. cheers, John Seddon... sales manager."

as a project i would still like to consider modifying my bcd. but after receiving such a positive and prompt email from scubapro directly i have made the choice to upgrade to an equator bcd in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom