Anyone actually use a Seiko Orange Monster for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...I mean yeah they were built for that but I have a nice Oceanic GEO 2 wrist computer which I have been using as a land watch during my last trip. Just got a brand new Seiko Orange Monster watch and man that thing is a beauty. I've read the prior threads on both watch and computer diving, but it just seems ungainly to me to have both on one wrist, any strange to have anything at all on my dominant wrist. Also, if you dive with a watch: metal bracelet or rubber band

i've done about 100+ dives on mine. It was used as a backup bottom timer on my left wrist. my uwatec BT is on my right.
Good automatic watch (and cheap as automatic movement watches go actually) . I have since replaced it with a G-shock which has 3 functions i need.
1) Light (the monster is good but you have to recharge the glow face by shining your light on it)
2) stopwatch with split timer (total dive time and segments)
3) countdown timer for timing stops.

as long as you keep the crown fully screwed in the Monster is great watch and can resit some minor flooding (you can use a hair dryer to dry it out if its fresh water, salt you need to pull it apart and really dry it out after rensing it fresh water)

I have a scubapro meridian on order which will repalce the G-shock and function as etiher a full computer or backup bottom timer with all the above functionality as well. My "normal" bottom timer will stay on my right wrist and will not be replaced. The watch's are onlyl backup's for me.

Hope that helps.

The OM (orange monster) is a great watch. Bezel is easy to turn with out without gloves, wet or dry. It's 200M rated, and typical Seiko toughness.

I'd put it on a zulu strap instead of the metal bracelet or a rubber strap for diving. The Zulu will keep you from losing it if you break one of the spring bars. That being said, Seiko spring bars are extra thick, so that adds a measure of safety. The lug holes make it very easy to change straps using a paper clip.

I'm with you - I don't like a computer on one wrist, and a watch on the other, but I do it, and I get used to it.

Get that OM wet!

I have one with yellow dial and steel band. Wear it on same wrist with an Oceanic VT3. Works fine for me. Watch on right wrist just below cuff, and the VT3 a bit above. ANother dive computer on left wrist.
Why? Handling a big camera, I can always see one or the other.
I'm left-handed.

Cool, I am excited to try out my OM on my upcoming Belize trip. Will likely switch out the metal to a rubber strap (or NATO if I can find one think enough, the ones I have seen on Amazon are rather think nylon). Likely will leave my GEO on my left wrist and switch my OM to my right. I am right hand dominate an am used to working the buttons of my GEO with my right hand, feels weird the other way around. Although that talk of flooding my OM scares the bejeezes out of me, will make sure that crown is screwed on really really tight!

I've been looking at this watch as well. I dive with a cheaper casio analog right now but would like to upgrade.
I wear watch on left wrist in normal position and computer on inside of right wrist, works great for me.
Personally I kinda prefer prefer the rubber watch straps seem more comfortable but I suppose you would get used
to the other.

Not a monster, but I dive with my Seiko SKX007 all the time. Love this watch. It almost never leaves my wrist. I have it on a Martac Zulu band which I highly recommend. Much more comfortable than rubber or bracelet and if one of the spring bars breaks, you wont loose the watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom