Anyone a member of a Boat Club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I belonged to VIP boat club-Tampa, I highly recommend it. Several boats to choose from, and 3 reservations were allowed to be on the books at all times. Much cheaper and more convenient than owning a boat. The best part is at the end of the day, you bring the boat back and go home, they clean it, perform maintanance, store it and have it ready when you need it next time. No insurence cost, no repair bills, no storage fees.
Draw backs are that you need to plan ahead and have a reservation in advance, you can't take the boats out at night, you cant start early in the morning- opens at 8am I believe, you must start and finish in that marina- ie you can't tow it to another location.
All in all, I would join a boat club before buying another boat.
Hope this helps:

tucker93,

Thanks for all of your input. We looked at joining VIP Boat Club. It is still a consideration. Alot of what we've seen goes two ways:

1.) half day reservations with 3 on the books at a time for around $200, add a fourth for another $50, making it $250

2.) Full day reservations with 2 on the books for $250.

I think one of the MAJOR factors are the boats avalaible at the clubs. Home Port and Marker 1 Marina are right around the corner from our home.

You are right about the limited hours, single location and no night outings but the simple fact of the cost of owning a boat vs the club is a huge difference.

I think that the experience of the boat club will spring board us towards purchasing our own boat maybe one or two years down the road.

I belong to a club and enjoy it very much. The initiation fee was pretty big for my lifetime membership, and I pay 200 a month plus fuel.

When you look at the cost of a well equipped 23' center console, insurance, sea tow, and a place to keep it the boat club is very apealing.

I get out just about every weekend and usually bring along 2 or 3 more to help with the fuel cost.

I have managed to log about 300 dives in just over 3 years.

rboozer,

Thanks for the info. What is the name of the club you belong to?

I had a few people call me back from some clubs today.

VIP boat club said they don't allow their boats more than 2 miles off shore. Not to say you couldn't but it is against their rules.

I looked a while back at joining a club down in Maderia (spelling?) Beach that wanted like $5000 up front which is hefty. I think it was Freedom Boat Club. It was very promising but with that much down it's almost worth considering a used boat with that money down.

Either way, we are going to get a Sea Tow membership, its about $100 for a year.

Freedom boat club. The carry the Sea Tow, and insurance w/ 2000 deductible. What I like about the club is the number of locations to leave from and choice of boats.

I most commonly take a Key West 2300 CC out. Most are equiped with 250 hp motor, fish finder, and basic safety stuff. The generally don't want us to take them out past 20 miles. Their Sea Tow only covers stuff out to 20 miles.

Last edited:
When I was a member of VIP, I had the 3 reservation's at a time package. I had no problem getting a boat every week. The 2 fishing boats, Fish this and Fish that were the hardest to get and you needed them reserved a week or 2 in advance to get one on the weekend. There are always cancelations and even without a reservation, if you live near by, you could get a boat most every day.
I am considering getting back into a boat club and VIP or Maximo are the 2 I am considering. If you are aware of any other good clubs in the area, please let me know, more options are good!
Thank you

My only complaint about VIP was the guy told me the boats only go 2 miles out. While thats fine for island hopping here 2 miles really wont get you to any dive sites as far as I know. Thats not to say that you couldn't take the boat out, I just wouldn't want to join a club knowing I was violating their rules.

I haven't heard of Maximo, where are they out of?

Freedom Boat Club has a spot in Mederia Beach down by Johns Pass. It is alot more up front to join the club ($2900 or pay $5000 and no monthly dues for a year) you do have the option of using any of the 55 marinas accross the country.

There was a marina out of Pirates Cove in Dunedin on Alt-19 just south of Curlew. They were supposed to send me more info.

I am leaning towards Another Day in Paradise, Another Day in Paradise Boat Club. The members we have spoken to love the club, the club owners are VERY friendly and I like the full day bookins.

I'm still shopping around and if I find any others I'll post them here. I like Freedom but thats about an hour drive to use the boat each time. I don't know how often we would use the other clubs in the Freedom club so I don't know if it's worth it.

I checked the site, their monthy fee is only $169/ month if you guarantee an entire year. I don't know anyone in Maximo Boat club so I cant give you any any additional information, I did like the Marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom