Anybody work with handicapped divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There's a group in Chicago (Diveheart) that teaches scuba to handicapped kids and adults that I'm considering doing some volunteer work with. I'm a DM with little experience in the instructional arena and would like to find out more about what I can expect before I make the commitment. If there are any folks out there that have/are doing this and can share some tips and experiences with me, I'd love to hear them. It's been awhile, but I've worked with handicapped kids before, so this isn't a complete jump off into deep water.

Hi there,

Nope, I don't have much info to offer you. Just a request. I have been in contact with DiveHeart by email and am also interested in doing some work with them, if possible. I am, however, not in the chicago area, so it would just be once in a while.

I am a sign language interpreter and would really love to work with some deaf divers. So I would love hearing anything you find out about diveheart, or what your experieces are in dealing with them. The emails we have exchanged have certainly been pleasant.. but email is pretty limited. So... if you are willing to keep in touch or share, I would be very interested in knowing how it goes. Feel free to PM.

reefraff:
There's a group in Chicago (Diveheart) that teaches scuba to handicapped kids and adults that I'm considering doing some volunteer work with. I'm a DM with little experience in the instructional arena and would like to find out more about what I can expect before I make the commitment. If there are any folks out there that have/are doing this and can share some tips and experiences with me, I'd love to hear them. It's been awhile, but I've worked with handicapped kids before, so this isn't a complete jump off into deep water.
Start out by contacting these guys.

International Association for Handicapped Divers

Gary D.

ReefRaff,

I saw two guys on the plane as I was deplaning in Roatan that were with the HSA. Their legs didn't work, and I never asked why. To sum it up, these guys ended up at the resort I was at and were great divers that actively sought and gave advice. Great divers! They swam with their hands. I've got some good video and pics of them getting around.

They were certified through HSA. Handicapped SCUBA Association.

Look them up...

http://www.hsascuba.com/

The only downside to it was that I had to really make sure that I was not in the way of their arms!! I had my reg knocked out once, and my mask knocked off once! Their arms were strong!! It did give me a good example to use when teaching no mask swimming and regulator recovery drills, though.

Funny thing is, I never saw the guy coming and I thought he did it on purpose (I thought it was a prank), so I gave him the one finger salute underwater, which he returned vehemently....A few beers at the bar later and we were in stitches over the situation!

Colin Berry

Kids with disabilities are kids first, all full of lame and gooney ideas and fantasies, and too unwilling to believe anything that adults have to offer. After you get a handle on dealing with the kid-stuff, then you've got a chance to think about the disability issues. Every disability brings its own set of challenges to performance. As important, every person with a disability handles the issues involving a disability differently. Don't be too quick to think that the disability will be the biggest challenge. Instead, you'll see kids with serious disabilities shine because they adapt to the demands, while other kids with far less serious issues will be miserably unprepared for even the simplest challengs. That's the way of people, with and without disabilities.

Teach these kids to perform with excellence. Don't cop out with low expectations disguised as empathy, love, etc. And don't be afraid to stop and say that you don't know how a person will have to perfrom a particular skill with that particular disability -- but together you'll figure it out. Students with disabilities can do a fine job teaching their teachers, if only the teachers are wise enough to learn.

Good luck - and please report back!

MB,

That's some good information. I'll take it to heart when teaching if the situation arises. Thank you.

Colin Berry

ZenDiver on this board has been trained to work with Handicapped divers. He's a good guy.

coberry7:
Funny thing is, I never saw the guy coming and I thought he did it on purpose (I thought it was a prank), so I gave him the one finger salute underwater, which he returned vehemently....A few beers at the bar later and we were in stitches over the situation!

:laughing:

coberry7:
The only downside to it was that I had to really make sure that I was not in the way of their arms!! I had my reg knocked out once, and my mask knocked off once! Their arms were strong!!

I'm a newly certified T5-6 para and during our OWC I clocked my wife in her mask three times! It was totally an accident...honest! :wink:

Just thought I would give a few different handicapped groups I know of. Eels on Wheels is great along with Dive Heart. HSA is another good one. And O'Donnel Diving and Adapted Scuba. You can say I referred you there, they know who I am. Maybe they can put you in touch with others that help handicapped divers also. Here are the links:
http://www.eels.org/
http://www.diveheart.org/
http://www.hsanjscuba.com/
http://www.odonneldiving.com/
There are many others also! But here's something to start with. Hope it helps. Take care and safe diving from Matt. :wink:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Back
Top Bottom